WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Guthook's is now Far Out!

Noticed this morning that my Guthook app had changed to Far Out!

Curious -- did Guthook sell the enterprise?

Can't say that I like the new name (feels like [another] old friend has left), but it looks like everything else in the app remains the same, and none of my data is gone.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Interesting. Quite possible. I received a pop-up notification from the Guthook app two days ago that said "We have some big announcements ... Check back here soon!"

If they did sell out that probably means an end to the "buy it once" model to a move to a monthly or annual subscription.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Update: https://sgbonline.com/pressrelease/g...pps-to-farout/

Guthook Guides announced it has rebranded as FarOut to reflect the company’s current business model and plans for future growth. The company’s Bikepacking Guides app will also be consolidated in its FarOut app.

Co-Founders Paul Bodnar and Ryan Linn launched the brand’s first iOS app for the Pacific Crest Trail called “Guthook’s Guide to the PCT,” in 2012, named after Linn’s trail name Guthook. The founder’s first Guthook Guides app for Android was released in 2013. What started as a single guide to help thru-hikers on the Pacific Coast Trail has grown to include over 100 hiking, biking and paddling routes worldwide.

“Now that we’re expanding our community to our other favorite activities like bikepacking and paddling, we decided it was time to change the app’s trail name,” said Linn. “The app, though, will stay the same.”

The FarOut app remains mostly the same with minor consolidation updates. Its core audience continues to be the thru-hiking community but will expand its reach to other outdoor markets, including bikepacking and paddling.

“We are excited about this transition, and I’m proud of our talented and hard-working team who made it happen,” said Bodnar. “And stay tuned, because we are working on some new features that we think our customers will love.”

The company also announced it designed a web app on its site for easy access to all the company’s trail guides directly from a computer or tablet.

I got this email today...:

Our New Name
    Our main hiking app, Guthook Guides, is now FarOut. We are the same company with the same app, but with a new name and new look.
    We have consolidated all of the bikepacking and cycling guides available in Bikepacking Guides and Cyclewayz into FarOut. (The content in the legacy Android hiking guide apps was previously incorporated into Guthook Guides.)
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

My Phone App still says Guthook. When I open it, I get a flash that it's "Updating Database". I did find FarOutGuides and set up a logon on the Web. It has all my trail purchases except my very first one, the Arkansas Eagle Rock Loop (ERL). I've emailed them.

Looking at my App Store purchases, Guthooks just says "Open" (so no changes) and not "Update".

So....should the phone app "Change"?
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

far out man
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I imagine we'll all continue to refer to the app as "Guthook"

I think it's far-out on Apple and still guthook on Android so far.

Its far-out on my android - It will be hard to call it something else, but as far as names go, I think Far-out is pretty good.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

What are the people who called it Guthooks going to call it now?

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    Its far-out on my android - It will be hard to call it something else, but as far as names go, I think Far-out is pretty good.
    Still guthooks on my Samsung. And I can't find it under the name far out, in the Google play store. .

just found it in Google play store now.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    What are the people who called it Guthooks going to call it now?
    By its new name, of course. If they can’t remember the new name then they shouldn’t be out hiking.

I always thought "Guthook" sounded more like a hunting/fishing info.

My iphone still showed it as Guthooks until I updated the app, and now it is FarOut

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Still guthooks on my Samsung. And I can't find it under the name far out, in the Google play store. .
    one word

FarOut
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

John Denver sez.png

The Denver family announced a trademark suit today......

Images

Speaking of Guthook - is anyone else having trouble? I don't get the GPS location on the elevation side of the map. it shows my location on the maps just not the elevation. I recently got a new phone which is when it started happening (Iphone 13pro max). I've emailed them, but so far no help.

I have to give the new name a big thumbs down. As someone who was a kid when people still actively used that slang term in the 70's, it's bringing back some trauma of those dark days. I can't imagine myself ever actually calling it that in a real conversation with any of my peers as I grew up with people making fun of that time period. I will probably refer to it as the app formerly known as Guthook.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++