WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Carrying microspikes

Interested to hear any tips, advice, Best Practices, etc. for carrying microspikes in or on your pack (so as to avoid damage to the pack or anything else.)

Specifically, I expect to be carrying Katoola's (though haven't purchased yet), and the pack I'm using is an Osprey Aura -- which, as anyone familiar will know, does not have a great outside mesh "shove-it" pocket. I have added a mesh PackBack from Dutch (awesome addition, by the way. It serves as a wet gear hammock in my tent when I need it, or a grocery sack, laundry sack, etc etc....), but I worry that the spikes would shred the mesh.

Not my biggest concern; I suppose I'd figure something out...but when it comes to sharp pointy things, I like to avoid as much trial & error as possible.

Any advice welcome, and thanks.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I keep my Hillsounds in a small bag to control the pointy bits. It rides in pocket on the side of my pack so I can pull it out without taking off the pack. Lots of folks just clip em to the outside up here, but I'm not a fan of that. Can get snagged on something or worse, someone
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Hillsounds used to come with special bag for carrying them. https://hillsound.com/products/spikeeper Why reinvent the wheel?

I will pack my micro-spikes with the spikes pointed at each other (bottom to bottom) and store them in a fairly robust nylon stuff sack. Typically I will use an outside pocket on the pack to store the stuff sack for ready availability and to reduce contact with pack contents. However, since the stuff sack has not allowed spikes to penetrate I don't have issue with putting them inside the pack (though not all that convenient if taking them off and on), or using a carabiner in the bottom strap of the stuff sack and another in the draw string to attach it to the pack so it does not swing with each step.

The kathoola spikes come with a sack that works great no worries. Just throw them in top pocket "brain".
    And I absolutely love them no slipping and fit snug and can walk straight up an ice mountain with pack no problem!

Just use the included bag - it's good enough to eliminate any concern.

My Katoola's didn't come with a bag. Guess I got ripped off. The spikes aren't that sharp, I just toss them into my day pack. If I think of it, I'll put them in a small dry sack to keep my layers dry, should the spikes become wet. Hillsounds have a bit more robust spikes, those you'd want a little more protection with. Mating them point to point in a small bag would be good enough.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    My Katoola's didn't come with a bag. Guess I got ripped off. The spikes aren't that sharp, I just toss them into my day pack. If I think of it, I'll put them in a small dry sack to keep my layers dry, should the spikes become wet. Hillsounds have a bit more robust spikes, those you'd want a little more protection with. Mating them point to point in a small bag would be good enough.
    The most recent pair I bought, probably within the last 6 years or so, came with the bag. Never got one before that. Very protective, and therefore not particularly light.

I agree the Hillsound bag is heavy cordura lined bag. Not light but holds the spikes quite well.

Thanks all for your tips.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

++ New Posts ++