WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thankfully all is well, but a leash may have prevented this.

And a big shout-out to JESSICA VAN ORD for her courage. I hope someone buys her a beer.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/14/dog-re...ter-five-days/

From the Poughkeepsie Journal:

"“We are thrilled that it was possible to reunite Liza with its owner," Joshua Laird, the executive director of the Palisades Interstate Park Commission, said in a statement. "This incident is a reminder that the rules requiring dogs to be kept on-leash are an important way to protect loved pets, their owners and the park’s fragile resources."https://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/2021/10/14/dog-rescued-ny-park-after-five-days-ulster-county/8448833002/

++100 to leash.
    Our dog weighs 100 pounds and has "Sled dog" in him. He can and has pulled me to the ground when 'LOOK!!! A RABBIT' is seen out in the forest. I USED to let him off lead to romp. But three hikes in three weeks, resulted in a dog crashing thru the forest for 10+ minutes and one less jack rabbit at the place. The final straw was when he faked me out. Dragging along behind me all tired out....until I unclipped him for the final mile to the truck. OFF the side of the plateau he went down a CLIFF, chasing deer! Took 10 minutes of calling him to get him back up that face. Now i use a Doggy lead like the runners use and while he can still yank me to the ground, he's not diving off a cliff after a deer.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Leash and muzzle should be mandatory for dogs on trails....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Journal Entries
    Images

Default A leash may have prevented this.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Sounds to me that your dog is uncontrollable. You should not bring him on the AT.
    Grampie-N->2001

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

yes, absolutely. and...not everyone loves dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Sounds to me that your dog is uncontrollable. You should not bring him on the AT.

Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of people do not take the time to work with their dogs to instill discipline and behavioral control on a lead, let alone off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of people do not take the time to work with their dogs to instill discipline and behavioral control on a lead, let alone off it.
    It seems like over the past several years, people have excessively personified their pets, routinely referring to themselves as “dog mom” or “dog dad”, etc and posting on social media. Well, a dog knows it’s a dog and views its owner as its master and leader. If a dog doesn’t have that level of respect for its owner, it will attempt to take the reins as the leader. Dogs are pack animals, not with the mindset of human children.

Some 40% of the Appalachian Trail requires dogs to be leashed and most State parks do have leash laws in place for trails, though you'd never know it by observing owner behavior as a group.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Some 40% of the Appalachian Trail requires dogs to be leashed and most State parks do have leash laws in place for trails, though you'd never know it by observing owner behavior as a group.
    Just like the lady that has to do time for getting too close to a bear, people follow the rules that are convenient for them. Where I live in Florida dogs are not allowed in any park, however, you see them. The absolute best is dog poop in the middle of a trail. We have a little dog, but we realize not everyone likes dogs.
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

I love dogs, have had them most of my life. But my hiking experiences the past two years have soured me to them on the trail. I've been nipped at a couple times by leashed dogs whose owners didn't pull them far enough off the trail as I went by. I've had close encounters with loose dogs, and last month in Wyoming had to pull my bear spray on an aggressive dog but lucky for it its owners came to grab it just in time. I'm at the point now where I don't like seeing any dogs on the trail.
    It is what it is.

Garlic
    Images

My friend lost his dog when it ran off a cliff chasing a goat in Colorado's Mt Evans Wilderness area. (If all my friends were perfect, I wouldn't have any friends.) I could not offer any sympathy, and he very well knew why. I had told him years earlier I wouldn't hike with him any more because of his habit of unleashing his dog. He was appropriately ashamed, and his fault added to his grief.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

dog owners needs to be on leash too.. dog.jpg
    At my local park they constantly break the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    It seems like over the past several years, people have excessively personified their pets, routinely referring to themselves as “dog mom” or “dog dad”, etc and posting on social media. Well, a dog knows it’s a dog and views its owner as its master and leader. If a dog doesn’t have that level of respect for its owner, it will attempt to take the reins as the leader. Dogs are pack animals, not with the mindset of human children.
    That is also indicative as to why human children have turned out so rotten ever since that book by Dr. Spock came out.

Pretty unproductive thread at this point. Kudos to Jessica for crawling down that crack! She deserves a case of beer!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++