WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New pack, Ohm, Mariposa, others?

I am a weekend warrior and venturing out for more 4-5 day trips with hopes to someday in the near future do some smaller thru hikes; LT, SWT, Pinhoti

Anyhow I currently use a 50L GG Gorilla and have a base weight of around 12-13 lbs. I am finding that any more than 2 days I am packed pretty full mostly the bulk of food.

I am going to try a few things like moving my shelter to outside my pack.

Anyhow I’ve been looking at new packs. I went first to the Mariposa because I have no complaints about my other GG pack.

But I also am looking the the ULA Ohm, and of course it gets compared to the Circuit too.

Just wondering what you think? I kind of want to have load lifters on my next pack too.

I've been more than pleased with my Mariposa for several years. I believe they've done some updates since I got mine so that the weight transfer to the hip belt has improved. At times I find it too large, but there's no law that says you have to fill it up. The arrangement of the outside pockets is especially good and makes organization, especially of wet things, easier for me. I don't own but I have seen the ULA Circuit in action, and its features impress me as well.

I also have a Gorilla. I have a Mariposa as well (actually two of them, the original silnylon and a new version). I have friends who love the ULA as much as I love my Mariposa. You can't go wrong
    with either. One benefit of choosing the Mariposa is you can use the same hipbelt for both Gorilla and Mariposa. (as was mentioned, the newest interations have a change in the hipbelt, but older belts should still work with newest pack model. check with GG to confirm)

Being a weekend warrior, I would suggest the ULA Circuit for fit and comfort, especially if replacing the Gorilla. If looking for Ultra light pack, either the Ohm or Mariposa would work. I have an OHm used for everything from overnighters to a thru hike. However, if I were to do more 3-5 Fay hikes amd knowing what I know know, I would have gone with the Circuit over everything else.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

FYI the Mariposa load lifters don't do much. they were only attached to fabric on the last one I used (its been a couple years since i had it though)

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    FYI the Mariposa load lifters don't do much. they were only attached to fabric on the last one I used (its been a couple years since i had it though)
    I briefly saw that in a review. The person sewed loops to go around the frame.

Can anyone confirm if the new style lifters are connected to the frame?

What about the Ohm?

Carried an Ohm for most of my hiking life but purchased a GG Gorilla last year. Like both of them a lot. This is my experience (so far):

Appreciate the simplicity of the Ohm and like the drawstring closure, which I was initially suspicious of. It has endured a lot of miles & still going strong; built tough. Side pockets are deeper than the Gorilla with the cord attachments are way more than I need. Carried 20 oz water in a Gatorade bottle on each strap. Hip belt is very good, but prefer the Gorilla's. ULA provided excellent support for their product.

In trying to adapt storage style to the strengths of the pack, my water system changed to 1 L Smartwater bottle in each side pocket. Took a lot of getting used to, but seems to be working. Replaced the stock padding with 6 sections of Therm-a-Rest Z Lite (for going to ground in hammock) making the carry super comfortable. Gossamer Gear has been responsive to the few questions I had.

Went from a medium Ohm to a small Gorilla so this opinion is apple to oranges, but the volumes appear more similar than different.

Good luck on your quest to find a new pack.
    Last edited by Recalc; 10-18-2021 at 17:16.

I have owned a Circuit since early 2013 and love the pack. It's still going strong after many thousands of miles, although not many recently. I also have a ULA CDT. ULA is a very well run company and a pleasure to do business with.

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Carried an Ohm for most of my hiking life but purchased a GG Gorilla last year. Like both of them a lot. This is my experience (so far):

Appreciate the simplicity of the Ohm and like the drawstring closure, which I was initially suspicious of. It has endured a lot of miles & still going strong; built tough. Side pockets are deeper than the Gorilla with the cord attachments being way more than I need. Carried 20 oz water in a Gatorade bottle on each strap. Hip belt is very good, but I like the Gorilla's better. ULA provided excellent support in the middle of my thru hike.

In trying to adapt storage style to the strengths of the pack, my water system changed to a 1 L Smartwater bottle in each side pocket. Took a lot of getting used to, but seems to be working. Replaced the stock padding with 6 sections of Therm-a-Rest Z Lite making the carry super comfortable. The minimal interaction with Gossamer Gear has been positive.

Went from a medium Ohm to a small Gorilla so this opinion is apple to oranges, but the volumes appear more similar than different.

Good luck on your quest to find a new pack.
    What’s your opinion on load lifters vs none? What about how they are used on the Mariposa; only being attached to the fabric?

Well you guys aren’t making this easy…. But I am leaning toward ULA. Either Ohm or Circuit, probably the Ohm

Reason being, it’s tried and true and it has a slight amount of adjustability in the hip belt height. I feel my medium GG Gorilla hip belt sits slightly high. I get it right but when I tighten the shoulder straps I pulls up maybe 1/2”. Anyhow it’s enough for the top of the hip belt to creep just past the top of my hip.

Not to mention the load lifters although I don’t know if they are attached to the frame or not.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    What’s your opinion on load lifters vs none? What about how they are used on the Mariposa; only being attached to the fabric?
    Remember Chris at ULA saying it is important to not overtighten the load lifters. In my opinion, it is an overrated feature.

One vote here for the OHM. I've used the Mariposa also and found the Ohm more comfortable with heavier weight.

While they are marketed as "load lifters", they are not. They are straps to adjust the shoulder straps. Since the mariposa is designed to be used with under 30lbs total weight, I don't find them particularly useful except as the vertical shoulder strap adjustment, to luft the pads off the shoulders. As I said before, if you like the gorilla, you will love the mariposa. In fact my only complaint about he gorilla is it does not have he full length side pocket like on the mariposa. I love that pocket. And the sit pad sleeve on the back, that alone puts GG packs in front of others for me.

While they are marketed as "load lifters", they are not. They are straps to adjust the shoulder straps. Since the mariposa is designed to be used with under 30lbs total weight, I don't find them particularly useful except as the vertical shoulder strap adjustment, to lift the pads off the shoulders. As I said before, if you like the gorilla, you will love the mariposa. In fact my only complaint about he gorilla is it does not have he full length side pocket like on the mariposa. I love that pocket. And the sit pad sleeve on the back, that alone puts GG packs in front of others for me.

ULA are made in USA

Section Hiker

I switched from ULA packs (Photon, Circuit, Catalyst) to the GG Mariposa last year. Well worth the change, much better hip belt connect and suspension. I have no issues with my load lifters. And, I've often got a BV500 in there. Very, very pleased with it.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

GG has packs on sale, 25% off. My gorilla has been my go to pack but I'm needing a little more room for cold weather hikes so I picked up a mariposa. At $200, it's a deal.

check out HMG pack. they usually have a Black Friday sale.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Decibel View Post
    check out HMG pack. they usually have a Black Friday sale.

I second that. Then again EVERYONE is having a Black Friday sale this weekend!

++ New Posts ++