WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default tarptent Stratospire Li

If I separate the fly from the mesh, I have no idea how to get it back together. Am I the only one with this problem? Does anybody have any tips? Right now I have tiny numbered carabiner, but I'd love to get rid of those. I'm thinking my only hope is a video, but I haven't found one...

If you start with the clips at the top next to the trekking pole you cant go wrong
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I'm playing with it with those numbered 'biners. I just have to match the numbers. I think I'm starting to get it. Once I get enough confidence I'll remove those carabiners.
    One thing I have to remember: at the pitchloks and corners, there are short and long cords on the fly and mesh. Looks like the long on the fly links to the long on the mesh, and ditto re. the shorts.

I dont think there's going to be a front and back issue, is there? in other words, either side (front or back) of the fly will hook up correctly with either side of the mesh...right?

I am looking at the Strat LI for a thru hike next year. It has so many great qualities but…is it overkill for the AT? My only question is whether the size is too big for easily finding tent sites, especially in northern states or on tent platforms in the whites. It’s been out of stock in Tarptent for a while but as I wait for restocking, I would appreciate any advice from people who have used this tent on the AT especially in northern states. Thanks so much. Dom

haven't used it on the AT, but it does have a sizeable footprint. Something that worries me that might not be an issue on the at is hard ground where you can't get the stakes in...

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I am looking at the Strat LI for a thru hike next year. It has so many great qualities but…is it overkill for the AT? My only question is whether the size is too big for easily finding tent sites, especially in northern states or on tent platforms in the whites. It’s been out of stock in Tarptent for a while but as I wait for restocking, I would appreciate any advice from people who have used this tent on the AT especially in northern states. Thanks so much. Dom
    I hiked the entire AT with the Stratospire 2 (same footprint) and had no problem ever finding a place. Great tent I just bought a new one! Thinking about getting the Li
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I'm going to be selling a new TT Protrail Li here on WB today. Bought new in July 2021. Only selling because hiking plans have changed due to business obligations. PM me if interested.

another strato li question: Any tips on rolling it up? it's really tight, trying to get it back in it's sack. I lay it out and fold it in so it's no wider than the pitchlocks. then fold in half, lengthwise, so the pitchlocks are together. then tightly roll up. at that point, it's a struggle, getting it in it's sack...

Before folding and rolling, make sure that all the layers(fly and inner) are as flat as possible. think of how bed sheets are folded, works the same way.
    BTW , the Li has a slightly smaller footprint than the Sil version.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    another strato li question: Any tips on rolling it up? it's really tight, trying to get it back in it's sack. I lay it out and fold it in so it's no wider than the pitchlocks. then fold in half, lengthwise, so the pitchlocks are together. then tightly roll up. at that point, it's a struggle, getting it in it's sack...
    I've had to fine tune my skills with that. Getting the carbon fiber stay all together is the most important step. I think I watched the video on the TT site 3 times before I felt good about it. But i've never been able to get it in my pack. It's always strapped on top.

As for mating the inner with the fly again, I found that the easiest way is to do it under the fly once the fly is in place.

++ New Posts ++