WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Freestanding tent lighter than Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1?

I have decided to purchase a one-person freestanding tent rather than relying on my bivy, which is just too hot on many nights when I need to be in it to get away from the bugs.

The Big Agnes Copper Spur has all the features I want, and I'll use a Tyvek ground sheet so the weight should be about 2 lb 6 oz.

Is there anything better I should be considering?

I think the Nemo Dragonfly is probably the closest competition if you’ve not already looked at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Nemo Hornet 2p weighs 2 lbs 6.4oz complete, including 4.5oz homemade Tyvek groundsheet and lighter stakes than came with the tent. (just tent & poles, with bags, 31.0 oz). For the same weight it would be roomier than the CS. The Hornet 1p would be about 6oz lighter I believe.

The Hornet is SEMI free-standing - it will stand, but the foot end has only one central pole-point, so needs to be staked out to spread that end. I have set it up on hard surfaces with no stakes and just used rocks to pull the foot box corners out.

The real down side of the Hornets compared to the Copper Spur is that the fly on the Hornets don't come down nearly as close to the ground, so they save and oz or so in exchange for notably less vestibule functionality. Also, the BA Tiger Wall tent is lighter than the Copper Spur, but it is also shorter with even lighter fabrics if I recall correctly.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries
    Images

Love my Copper Spur 2 so roomy & light!! After carrying an old Eureka "Solitude" (one person, non-free standing) on my PCT thru-hike I'll happily carry the Copper Spur 2 at just under 3 lbs
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Love my Copper Spur 2 so roomy & light!! After carrying an old Eureka "Solitude" (one person, non-free standing) on my PCT thru-hike I'll happily carry the Copper Spur 2 at just under 3 lbs
    Ditto
    Used a Copper Spur 2 for a solo thru of the JMT. Gave me enough room to bring ALL of my gear into the tent at night (except bear can) to avoid worries of critters chewing on back pack, boot laces, or trekking pole handles.
    I used a Large Neo xLite for a sleeping pad set up on the diagonal so that I had more than enough head room and foot room with gear on either side of me as needed.
    {Tip for keeping the boots inside your tent AND keeping the tent clean... I carry a small sitting pad and place it on the ground as a knee pad to get in and out of the tent. Once inside, bring it inside and turn it "dirty" side up and place your boots on top the pad}

Only reason I did not mention the CS2 which seems to be a go to for many, is the OP is coming from a bivy so one can presume he is not going to complain about the room of the CS1. That said, when you look at the weight versus size of the CS1 vs CS2 its easy to justify the larger tent. Having used a Fly Creek 1 for a few years before going to the CS2, I whole heartedly think the few ounces extra make camp life so much better its a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post

Garlic
    Images

The Tarptent Rainbow is similar in weight and less expensive.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++