WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Electronic at guidebook

Hello:
    What electronic version of an AT guidebook is being used the most? What is your favorite and why?

Thanks,
    0nlyJ0hn

Guthook. worth every penny
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

For a phone app type guide with GPS maps and real time updates/entries by other hikers on conditions and hiker services? Guthooks.

Electronic versions of what are hard copy guides? - AWOL, ALDHA Companion, WB Pages

Old school guys like me still carry paper maps and hard copy guides and work fine on short trips/sections where I know the resupply and all the particulars. But if I were thru-hiking I'd definitely get Guthooks.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I am very familiar with WB Pages. If you assume that the electronic version is just accurate up to the day of publication, you are operating under a common misconception. It is a lot more than just an electronic copy of outdated printed text.

For example, I assisted Rick with the shuttle providers listing update. The existing listings had been ignored for years and were scattered among various sources. They listings were outdated, disorganized and full of factual errors. It took a solid month's worth of work to collect, consolidate, supplement, verify and collate the data before it was posted at WB. It has been updated regularly as new shuttle operations were added, and some were shut down due to the Covid pandemic. The listing was incorporated into the WB Pages print version, and was up-to-date, and accurate, at the date it went to print.

The shuttle update work was a small task in comparison to what Rick accomplished when he decided to develop an interactive, electronic version of WB Pages which incorporated the shuttle listing data, and all of the other data contained in the print version.

He hyperlinked the electronic guidebook's town and city maps, and hundreds of trail-related GPS coordinates. The major points of interest were linked to the Gaia mapping app, that would bring up a topographic location display on the user's device. Establishment websites were also hyperlinked to bring up their websites. Additionally, all trail changes were entered, and all trail mileages were verified before publication.

All of the above information incorporated in WB Pages is continually updated, as the need arises, and available as regular updates to the WB Pages guidebook user.

I also personally like to have a hard copy of the AT information, but also use the electronic version as it is always up-to-date.

I have heard good things about Guthook's guide, but have never purchased it. I have no idea as to the accuracy of the ALDHA product. AWOL has an impressive array of purchase options, but seems a bit pricey in comparison.

Whatever electronic guide you go with, make sure that the information contained in them is kept current.
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 09-28-2021 at 07:11.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up My choice

This is the best pdf guidebook for the price BAR NONE.
    https://www.whiteblazepages.com/stor...ges-basic-pdf/
    I also have Guthook, and have used the Thru-Hikers Companion, National Geographic Maps, the AT Data Book, and DeLorme Maps (for printing paper maps).
    I consider the combo of the WB Guide & Guthooks unsurpassed for usefulness.

Images

Big Hike is a free iOS app and has a pretty nifty website as well - www.bighike.net

Disclaimer: I built it
    Big Hike: the first iOS app for the AT and BMT

++ New Posts ++