WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How long will you cell phone last

OK... yes, there are many variables i.e., temp, age, model, etc., but in general how many days can you expect your cell phone to last if it is almost always on AIR PLANE mode? Just using Guthook during the day and if necessary to place a call temporarily take it out of Air Plane mode but right back when done. I have a battery pack but don't want to carry the weight and most times there is someplace to charge.

Next question.... is it better to turn your phone off at night and reboot in the morning, or does rebooting use more power than leaving it on airplane mode all night.

Driving north to do a sobo section from Gt. Barrington, MA to Hoyt Road, NY in two weeks and figure on five days.

Thanks for any comments, grunt

On airplane mode, my phones have typically gone for several days (very easily through a weekend) even if left on overnight. Turning them off overnight when I tested that didn't appear to save much, if anything.

Put your phone in airplane mode, and see how much the power drops in a day and you’ll have an idea of how long it will last in airplane mode.
    If totally shutdown, with no usage, it will probably last for weeks.

I am a "heavy" cell phone user on trail. I keep it in airplane mode 90% of the time and use guthooks, music, pictures etc as much as I want. I plan on using 50% battery life per day on trail. Its typically always very close to that
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

When my smartphone was brand new, I could go for 10 days using Backcountry Navigator for navigation only, plus take some fotos, and still have some battery left.
    If I did tracking (again using BN), it would go for max. 3 days.
    Now the phone is 4 yrs old and it will do one full day of tracking, or 5-6 days of navigation only.
    I keep it in airplane mode all the time, and just switch the screen off.

A hard shutdown plus a reboot will use more battery.

If you're at all concerned about your battery life, get an external battery (I am assuming you are already considering one). It costs additional weight, but if your phone is dying at a faster rate than you expect you can use it to help stretch out the lifespan (along with keeping the screen as dim as possible - that's the other big battery killer).

My old cellphone lasts 3 weeks with two $6 batteries. The secret is to remove the battery when not in use. With the battery out the phone will in no way use power---to keep time or whatever else. It's a good system esp in winter.

You also need to remember to close any apps which might still be running in the background. My current phone seems to run down pretty quick, a lot quicker then my older phones did. Power down will make the battery last much longer if it's left off for any decent length of time, such as days. Powering down just for the night doesn't help enough for the inconvenience of having to boot it in the morning.

Anyway, for a 5 day trip you will want a USB batter pack. A medium capacity like 5800 mah would be good enough and are reasonably small and light.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I just powered up my iPhone Xs from being totally off. It only took 30 seconds to boot and acquire a cell signal. If it was me, and I didn’t want to carry a battery pack, I’d keep it off unless I needed it.

Keep it off no need for guthooks on the AT. Will last all week .

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    My old cellphone lasts 3 weeks with two $6 batteries. The secret is to remove the battery when not in use. With the battery out the phone will in no way use power---to keep time or whatever else. It's a good system esp in winter.
    I've tried to use an old Nokia due to their brillant phone-only capability and battery life.
    It failed miserably. Obviously, the old Nokia was "dirty" inside and had developed some leak current.
    Maybe the trick with removing the battery would have worked?

Journal Entries

In general 3 days plus should be reasonable for any phone with a healthy battery if used the way the OP describes it. But there is a problem in execution at times which has the hiker forget to turn it back on to airplane mode and when discovering that finds their phone much depleted. A common thing would be to turn it on, get messages/emails, then airplane it again while responding off line. Once all messages are composed and waiting to send, turn it on again. If it goes through great, if not it is common to just hike a bit and recheck (good to set a 10 minute timer here), and forget it's on. There are other ways to mess it up too, like having it on at camp (many distractions) and forgetting and finding out in the morning.

Because of that having a battery pack is a good idea if you are going beyond your phone's normal battery's life. Additionally Li-ion chemistry is such that if you leave your phone at a low state of discharge for a long time (several days), it will reduce the expected total life at a much higher rate, you don't want your phone sitting at or near zero for any length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You also need to remember to close any apps which might still be running in the background. My current phone seems to run down pretty quick, a lot quicker then my older phones did. Power down will make the battery last much longer if it's left off for any decent length of time, such as days. Powering down just for the night doesn't help enough for the inconvenience of having to boot it in the morning.

Anyway, for a 5 day trip you will want a USB batter pack. A medium capacity like 5800 mah would be good enough and are reasonably small and light.
    And not only the apps, but also there are many background process which can be turned off in settings. Examples are Bluetooth, automatic app updates, location services, to name a few. These are big battery drainers even in airplane mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    And not only the apps, but also there are many background process which can be turned off in settings. Examples are Bluetooth, automatic app updates, location services, to name a few. These are big battery drainers even in airplane mode.
    Could not agree more, background processes are numerous. Googling the nitty gritty on your particular phone helps a lot, but an overlooked tool is the battery saver mode found in most phones used in combo with airplane mode. The scope of battery saver varies between platform & manufacturer (e.g. in mine, Guthook & GPS still works but not as well). An idea worth checking out.

++ New Posts ++