WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default Parking at Burningtown Gap and also Tellico Gap NC

Could anyone please tell me if you think overnight parking at either Burningtown Gap or Tellico Gap is safe? Just concerned if when I return from an overnight hike if I should still expect my car to be where I left it and in the same condition. I have used shuttles many times in the area leaving my car at NOC but would really like to drive myself in to one of these spots for overnight. Thanks in advance for your insight!!

Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Burningtown Gap is kind of a weird parking spot. You are basically at the bottom of a clearing and the trail is literally 5 feet behind the parking area. Every person who hikes by that area will see your car. I tend to think most hikers wouldn't mess with your ride, and during the week, there's not a lot of foot traffic in that area. It is at the end of a long gravel road, so the only people driving by that parking lot are people who intend on going there. It'd be a great place to cut off a catalytic converter, since it's isolated and that seems to be all the rage these days. I think it should be fine, but it's exposed for sure.

Tellico gets a lot more traffic, and you should find several cars parked at the gap. Again, the hikers go right by the parking area, but I'd be more worried about the locals with the cutting torch. If not for the CC thefts in that area, I wouldn't worry about either spot, but if somebody is looking for a nice, quiet, isolated spot to cut off a catalytic converter in the middle of the night, you can't really come up with much better spots for that type of thing.

I live in the immediate vicinity of these two trailheads just outside of Andrews, NC. I've hiked a lot through these areas, the last time being Memorial Day weekend. CC theft has been a big time problem in this general area. I did hear of several CC theft incidents at Tellico Gap this past spring. I would be very hesitant to park overnight or longer at Tellico Gap and would certainly NOT at Burningtown Gap. Wish I could give you more positive feedback. Good luck with your hiking ventures.

Images

Thanks so much for the feedback! Sort of what I expected to hear. I will just get a shuttle and park at the NOC. Such a shame that it has to be this way but anytime the trail intersects a road or crossing off the beaten path this is usually the case. AT hikers are the best! Just not the best idea to camp within a mile of where locals or those wishing bad things can have an easy time coming into contact with you. All the best! Thanks!

++ New Posts ++