WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Shuttles
    lined up for monday am start at chief mtn assuming there are camp permits available from rangers at apgar on sunday.

Food
    Glacier -- i assume there are resupply options at auto campgrounds
    The BOB -- i typically carry 5-6 days food but the hike from Summit cg to Benchmark is about 118 mi, or more like 130 if i resupply at East Glacier. so my concern is, at at, say, a 15 m/day pace how do i manage that if its 8-9 days? other than just packing tighter/heavier (or with with less food) or walking more mi/day, is there a short hike off trail half way perhaps for a resupply? i didn't see that on any maps though...

Quote Originally Posted by Lithopath View Post
    Shuttles
    lined up for monday am start at chief mtn assuming there are camp permits available from rangers at apgar on sunday.

Food
    Glacier -- i assume there are resupply options at auto campgrounds
    The BOB -- i typically carry 5-6 days food but the hike from Summit cg to Benchmark is about 118 mi, or more like 130 if i resupply at East Glacier. so my concern is, at at, say, a 15 m/day pace how do i manage that if its 8-9 days? other than just packing tighter/heavier (or with with less food) or walking more mi/day, is there a short hike off trail half way perhaps for a resupply? i didn't see that on any maps though...
    My northern Lash was around 2007 so some things may change

Glad you chose Chief mtn as it is logistically so much easier. Marijuana and other drugs are a big issue at the border at least in one direction. Likewise, any unresolved legal issues would end your hike at one of the crossings. It is illegal to bring bear spray into Canada so you avoid that issue. I hiked solo, didn't carry bear spray and am still comfortable with that option. 90+% will carry it. Met at least three people who either accidently discharged bear spray or it leaked with unpleasant results. Bears are only one of dozens of hazards along the trail. Be sure you understand how to deal with the bears.

On that northernmost section the "standard trail" from CM goes through Ptarmigan tunnel. I hiked in early season when the tunnel was still closed by snow so my route was an alternative over red (red gap?) pass where I had time to observe wild goats. Work with rangers to find your best hike but be open to all options. If you have lightweight quality binoculars this is the place to carry them.

I resupplied food throughout the park but carried in my own dried milk and today would carry my own clarified butter or olive oil. If you are open to everything you can easily resupply there. Double check with the ranger for your itinerary that each spot has an open store.

I hiked the Glacier portion of the CDT NOBO and took the shuttle back to E. Glacier. Leaving my options open, this gave me a better schedule. It is about a day's hike from E Glacier to the first campground in the park. Pick up a Blackfeet reservation permit in EG.

The standard resupplies are EG and Benchmark. You are heading into remote wilderness. If you sent a package to Benchmark make sure you follow carefully any guidelines. Benchmark is not a town. The only food drop in Benchmark was about two additional miles from the CDT junction. Benchmark is a USFS campsite and remote airstrip along with a handful of private cabins/camps at the end of long road. It is a long ways from town without UPS or USPS service. It you sent a package, it should already be mailed.

The majority of the CDT is remote without cell or emergency services. This section is clearly in that category This is a place to bring extra food not less. This is not a place for injuries or pushing miles. If you sent a package to Benchmark, it may not be there so you may need an extra day of food or need to hitch to town. Make sure you know the current capabilities in Benchmark. Expect search and rescue capabilities to be extremely limited to non-existent. With 3 people, the likelihood of problems increase. Make sure you have a plan.

I doubt their or other options for resupply. This is empty country. But, You can hitch or otherwise procure a ride from EG to the CDT highway crossing and slack the CDT 12 miles Nobo back to EG. If you don't want to stay in EG then pick up pack and hitch back. When procuring Glacier permits, keep this as an option to hike on day one, and delay your Glacier portion by one day to get a better schedule.

Before you enter the Bob, you hike through a section of NF with dispersed recreation and car camping. If you can procure transportation, you might be able to slack another section back to the road. If not on Far out ask around town. It is a tiny condensed town. Don't plan a hitch in these dirt road areas.

Take a larger pack if needed. Your gear needs to define your pack not the other way around. Be careful when overloading your pack. Some fall apart while others are very uncomfortable. In addition to denser packing bring smaller/few items particularly for this section. I used an LED button light the size of a nickel on the PCT. You can mail forward (or purchase) your larger headlamp and "leisure items" not needed the first week or weeks (to a future town, not BM). Look at each item and see what you can shrink to the amount needed for just this section. Cut down your TP. Rocks, moss, spruce cones work well. Many PCter's would hang small gatorade bottles on their front straps or from the backpack above the shoulders. Pockets can be put on shoulder straps, across the front between the straps, on the sternum strap and on the belt straps. Hiking pants with large cargo type pockets can take a pound each. Remember your only talking about the first day or two. Any extra water bottles should be collapsible.

I don't recommend it but Ray Jardine would carry grocery bags in his hands.

In Glaicer, at the Going2TheSun Road, before Labor Day you can catch the NPS shuttle to St. Mary's and grab a resupply there, taking the shuttle back. The trail goes through Two Medicine where you can get enough at the Camp store to get you the short distance to East Glacier.

South of East Glacier, about 15 or so miles down the trail, you are at highway 2 and can hitch back to East Glacier to cut off a day's worth of food you need to carry. Some do that stretch the opposite way by hitching there in the morning and hiking back. Note, that stretch on the southern end of the national park is Blackfeet Reservation land and you are suppose to purchase a recreation permit online to hike it.

Mailing a box to Benchmark is your only sure choice. Last year, there was a guy who was shuttling from there to Augusta informally. Check the Farout App to see if the comments mention it this year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++