WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: radio in HMW

Default radio in HMW

Is there radio reception in the Hundred Mile Wilderness? I have a small pocket C. Crane radio.

Thank you

WTOS has a transmitter on the top of Mt Sugarloaf, its a hard rock station at 105.1 FM. Its pretty well available from the Maine line to Katahdin. The down side is is pretty minimal on news and weather.

Here is a map of NOAA weather radio coverage for Maine.

https://www.weather.gov/nwr/maine

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    WTOS has a transmitter on the top of Mt Sugarloaf, its a hard rock station at 105.1 FM. Its pretty well available from the Maine line to Katahdin. The down side is is pretty minimal on news and weather.
    Hard Rock to get you through the hard Rock!

Yes, lots. And when you get closer to Baxter you'll get 94.9, a Millinocket station that has the local weather.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

The best station on the trail. One of my favorite campsites is under the lift on sugarloaf near the unloading spot. Beware of the lift starting.
    The 100 MW starts near Greenville and ends just before the blue line NNE of Millinocket.

We always carried NOAA weather radio on a small handheld ham radio (I hold a General ham license). Very useful. You can almost always get reception and find out the weather.

++ New Posts ++