WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default 1st timer heading to Yellowstone

I have now scrapped my CDT section hike & need to be back in Kentucky sooner than planned. So I have booked a rental car in Jackson Hole & will be driving to Yellowstone car camping & day hiking for a 8 days this September. Any advise you Yellowstone experts can give me on: "off the beaten path" places to visit, sites to see, hikes, quiet, less crowed campgrounds? BLM land camping? etc.

Much Appreciated!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Be aware that their website says that most park camping and lodging is reserved and full.

Don't know about backcountry site availability but they may be useful to hike in just to camp with permit. Southeast, east, north, and northwest of the Park is NF and east of the Tetons is NF. Lots of lakes just east of the Tetons. The northside of the winds has lots of car camp anywhere possibilities as well as some places just off the hwy east from the tetons. I camped in the woods across the road from a lodge/motel where a CDT route crosses.

The backcountry rangers were very helpful when I was there. The public campgrounds were zoos in my opinion to be avoided. Along the CDT, I found solitude in the evening at Lone Star Geyser, though smaller in size (had a backcountry site near there). It is south of Old Faithful 1/2 mile off the road. Actually pretty much anywhere more than 1/2 mile down a trail leaves the crowds behind. Climbed mt. sheridan near heart lake and got a swim afterwards. Otters at the lake were a bonus. Campsites on the lake and beyond. Many years ago found wildlife (sheep and/goats) hiking a peak in the northern area of the park. Had it to myself. Maybe Mt Washburn for sheep??

Be on trail or at roadside areas from dawn to 8 am for best animal viewing and fewest people.

Must see Big Sites and Lots of People : Old Faithful and Geyser walks, Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone Falls.

There are quite a few first come first served campgrounds at YNP and they have a web site with real time availability. Checking late PM today (Thurs) nearly all had sites availability. I think staying in the park would beat finding BLM sites as the latter would require a lot of driving to get to trail heads. On my visit to YNP, we had three little kids so didn't do and significant day hikes. But if I were to go back on my own, I would do us on the NE corner (very quiet and pretty up there) and some of the backcountry thermal areas (Lewis, Shoshone, Heart Lakes).

There are so many places in and around YNP where you can get off the beaten path. I personally have enjoyed my canoe trips to Shoshone Lake in the southern section of the park. Most of the back country camping sites in this area are boat-in, but according to the map I'm looking at, there are a number of hike-in sites as well (on a section of the CDT). The Tetons just to the south have a ton of hiking and camping opportunities, with some amazing views. If the front-side campgrounds are full (I'd avoid these anyway if possible), there are some nice campgrounds just outside of the parks too. I've enjoyed camping at the Beaver Creek Campground next to Quake Lake (a lake that formed during an earthquake in 1959), just west of West Yellowstone.

Not really any BLM around YNP, it is mostly surrounded by US Forest Service land. I would bounce out to those areas where the rules are less stringent and less crowded. South of Jackson (Gros Ventre area) there is USFS dispersed camping. The same with West Yellowstone, Cook City, Cody, and North of Gardiner. Back Country permits should be available for that time of year. Most peeps are gone after Memorial day. It used to be full of foreign tourist during September, but I think that most international visitors will probably wait another year. Where are flying out of?

I was in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks in late June and early July. The ZOO Season.
    Walk up Backcountry permits were possible at the Colter Bay Backcountry office WHEN THE OFFICE OPENED AT 8am. I was second in line at 7:15am. The couple in front of me got their permit for the Cascade Canyon area. I got my permit for 4 nights in the Paintbrush and Holly Lake Area.
    I have been going to The Tetons and Yellowstone since 1965. For Backcountry scenery I think that the Tetons win hands down. AND! The Tetons recognizes the URSACK for food storage. Unlike Yellowstone.
    Have fun!
    Wayne

PS:
    Pay laundry and SHOWERS are available in GTNP at Signal Mountain and Colter Bay Campgrounds and Canyon Village in YNP.
    Wayne

I’ve always been able to get same day permits at Yellowstone. Due to Covid, you have to make your request online, or you can call. You can get your permit up to 48 hours ahead of the start of your trip. The scenery of the Tetons is amazing, but there’s something to be said for hiking along, hearing “something,” and find that you have just passed a fumarole (thermal feature) and heard the earth burp. If you have specific questions, PM me. I go most weekends.

We hiked the Bechler River trail a couple of weeks ago from Old Faithful to The Bechler Ranger Station. We had a couple of amazing hours at 'Mr Bubbles'. Google it and get there if you can get a permit.

++ New Posts ++