WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default NBC Today Show report

I quick report of overcrowding on the AT, seems the Streisand effect would occur from the article.

https://youtu.be/SuXQqi7AdfA

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
    I quick report of overcrowding on the AT, seems the Streisand effect would occur from the article.

https://youtu.be/SuXQqi7AdfA

Indeed ... if the AT were a product on the shelf, people would be panic buying it, FOMO style.

I wonder if similar upticks are found on non-triple-crown trail systems. I suspect a bit, but not as much as the more well-known trails.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Most national parks are overrun.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Most national parks are overrun.
    Yeah kinda takes the fun out of it!!!!!

Images

I wonder if the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness is crowded. Many AT hikers would not have the skills needed there and no hostels every 2-3 days.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    I wonder if similar upticks are found on non-triple-crown trail systems. I suspect a bit, but not as much as the more well-known trails.
    I came across this on another site where 5 lb guns were being discussed re; grizzlies. I question its reliability but it's a data point.

"GnatGiant - 5dThere were over 1000 CDT hikers this year (there was one day where chama had 250 in town). It's only a matter of time before one has a really bad encounter. Already happened to a bikepacker. The year I hiked, a thru hiker got trampled by a grizzly just south of Dubouse."

Watched the video and thought that maybe most popular trailheads are crowded every year?? I have hiked in GA with the guy they are interviewing [Don], nice guy. Interesting to see Warren Doyle's comment on this down below the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    I came across this on another site where 5 lb guns were being discussed re; grizzlies. I question its reliability but it's a data point.

"GnatGiant - 5dThere were over 1000 CDT hikers this year (there was one day where chama had 250 in town). It's only a matter of time before one has a really bad encounter. Already happened to a bikepacker. The year I hiked, a thru hiker got trampled by a grizzly just south of Dubouse."
    I'd question the reliability of that post too.

I wouldn't be opposed to local trail maintenance orgs (or whoever is appropriate) imposing a parking fee or day use fee at trailheads and using that money to maintain the trail.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    I wonder if the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness is crowded. Many AT hikers would not have the skills needed there and no hostels every 2-3 days.
    Probably. I went backpacking in Lake Clark NP in Alaska last month. Backcountry ranger told us visitation was way up.
    Be Prepared

Too many people. The population now is 2.2 times as large as when I was born.

Very big increase in virtually all outdoor recreational pursuits since the Covid shutdown in the first half of 2020. It's a good thing more people are experiencing the out of doors, good for them and hopefully in the long run more people will provide support of these great places. As others have said, most people just go to the same places. Lots of trails and parks are very underutilized. Example is the Benton McKaye trail that is almost a solitary backpacking trip except for a few trailhead areas.

Several day hikers, but not a single other backpacker when I thru hiked the Batram Trail in June.

++ New Posts ++