WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for advice re: Quehanna Trail or Susquehannock Trail System

Hello. A friend and I were looking at hiking either of these loops mid-September. But my friend wants to do no more than 9-10 miles a day for five days, which is shorter than either. On the map I can see that both loops are bisected by other trails, and it should be quite possible to plan a 45-50 mile loop. But it's one thing to look at a map and another to have been there. Any recommendations for a nice hike? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Mike View Post
    Hello. A friend and I were looking at hiking either of these loops mid-September. But my friend wants to do no more than 9-10 miles a day for five days, which is shorter than either. On the map I can see that both loops are bisected by other trails, and it should be quite possible to plan a 45-50 mile loop. But it's one thing to look at a map and another to have been there. Any recommendations for a nice hike? Thanks!
    Quehanna Trail - start at the Parker Dam trail head and hike CCW on the QT (follows the map mile points) then take the yellow blazed East Cross Connector up to the northern part of the QT and continue CCW back to Parker Dam. That should be around 50 miles total and would be almost as good as doing an official QT thru hike. Maybe even better if you meander a bit on the cross connector and include Crawford Vista, Bridge Trail, Lincoln Loop and Teaberry Trail.
    Really beautiful area, I doubt you will be disappointed. On the NW part of the QT, if you don't mind wading across Medix Run, you can follow the yellow blazed Bear Run Trail which was the original route for the QT until the bridge washed out.

One can also do 18 and 25ish mile loops out of Parker Dam using the QT, West Cross Connector and Bear Run Trails.

By parking at Beaver Run Dam off the Quehanna Highway a 40ish mile loop can be hiked by using the East Cross Connecter and the eastern part of the QT from milepoint 19.3 to milepoint 50.

Spend some time on the yellow blazed trails within the Quehanna Wild Area, in my opinion these are some of the highpoints of that region.

I'd do a loop with the east cross connector and the eastern end of the Quehanna Trail. Not sure of mileage, should be around 45. Beautiful creeks, cascades, elk, some views, meadows, gorges. Upper Jerry Run and Sanders Draft are very beautiful. Expect a wet crossing of Mosquito Creek. As mentioned above, follow side trails for more scenery. Teaberry, Lincoln loop, Bridge, and Crawford vista should not be missed. Big meadows along Bridge Trail and parts of the east cross connector. Beautiful area, enjoy.

As for the Susquehannock Trail, also very nice. Don't miss the Hammersley Wild Area, isolated, pristine place. To include Hammersley, you will need to cut out the northern part of the Susquehannock loop with the mileage you want.

Some scenery you can expect in the Quehanna Wild Area, some photos are off the QT or east cross connector.

https://endlessmountains.wordpress.c...nna-wild-area/

++ New Posts ++