WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default I need info on Franklin to Fontana for this weekend and next week

I want to do that section from Winding Stair over to Fontana Village.
    I’ve done it in cold weather, but its been a few years.

Are there bear issues/warnings around there that I should be aware of?

And that very rocky section just before the NOC. Is it overgrown or dangerous because of rattlesnakes this time of year?
    i remember it as a knife edge sort of place and, in particular I remember thinking it would be “snakey” in the summer.

Thank you in advance.hooty

I already lost some food on Bobs Bald in Robbinsville Ranger District a couple of months ago. That big old bear they’ve been dealing with up there walked in at breakfast time and bullied us out of camp.

I recently did a short stecoah to fontana section, I jumped a bear near fontana and one other hiker I met said they had a bear issue stealing food and circling the campsite all night but I think it was back in GA. I did bring a bear canister for first time on this hike.

The rocky scramble when you begin the steep descent to NOC (called the Jump Off, if I remember correctly) is fairly short. The rest of the trail, before and after, really isn't constricted. Barring recent blowdowns, visibility should be fine. I did that section in July a number of years ago and didn't feel like vipers had any particular advantage. Thunderstorms were the only thing that worried me.

There is knife-edge section of ridge walking between Stecoah Gap and Fontana - the stretch just north of Jacob's Ladder, ending near the Brown Fork Shelter turn off. But visibility there is pretty good and it's more a laurel thicket walk than a rock scramble.

I've done nearly all of my AT section hiking in the South during the summer months, mostly July and August. I've seen a few vipers over the years but it's never been an issue. Given prudent vigilance, the risk seems small.

Images

Mainiac and Dan,
    Thank you for the information.
    I was going to carry my food from Winding Stair without stopping at NOC, but I think I will take the bear can and do a resupply at NOC. That way the weight of the bear can will be easier to justify. I will just have to try to get to NOC before they close on Monday.
    i love bears, but they have been a real pain this year.

Images

Any other information will be great to have. Thanks everyone.

++ New Posts ++