WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default "Goin" to the top!" The exploding popularity of Colorado's 14ers

8-9-21
    https://www.durangoherald.com/articles

As hikers flock to Colorado 14ers, trail-building crews work to rescue the alpine tundra

In 2010, I woke up just beyond, (west) of the trail that leads from the CT up (WAY UP) to the top of Mt Massive. I was breaking camp early and realized it was an absolutely (typical) gorgeous morning. A couple kids came by, close enough to my camp that I could hear them calling out, "We're goin' to the TOP!" with fists punching up in the air. As I finished breakfast, I realized I had enough food for lunch, dinner that evening and breakfast tomorrow. I thought "Yeah... Goin' to the top!" So I did. I climbed the trail to the top of Mt Massive (phew!) and have never regretted it. Although that evening, when I set my delicious pot of dinner down on a stump, a camp robber bird flew in and tried to make off with it... Nearly succeeding. Lucky I won the tussle and without too much food ending up on the ground. Every bit of which that bird flew in and devoured like I wasn't even there!

For those of you who haven't "Been there. Done that." I suggest you get, "Goin" to the top!"
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

I came back from bouncing around CO's Weminuche Wilderness a week ago. I saw 1 hiker on the CDT where it did not correspond with the CT, a couple of solo thruhikers, and one bunch of them(6-8?) that were clumped together, all apparently finishing up a SOBO CT. Other than that, I met just two "backpackers".

That was a pretty normal amount of people, considering I didn't see any elk hunters like on my two previous trips(3 and 7yrs ago, respectively), and avoided Chicago Basin, where I have seen 2-4 people from a distance when passing through before.

What was very not normal was meeting 3 guys who'd already been up to Vestal Basin, another hiker descending from there on my way up, and an ultrarunner(?) coming down from one of the peaks at sunset, with probably 10 miles to go to his truck. Then I met two more on the train ride out, who'd had their quickie into Vestal and up the Wham ridge messed up by fresh snow and ice.
    Also numerous peak baggers at Needleton, coming and going from the 14ers in Chicago Basin both on the way in and out.

They were all nice, mostly kids to me, and I enjoyed talking to them and hearing about where they were going or had been. My train in was on a Wednesday morning, though, and the one out the following Tuesday afternoon. It did make me wonder...if there's that many on Tuesday and Wednesday at the end of the season, what's it like in summertime nowadays?!?

Oops, can't edit. I did see a couple of hunters on the Vallecito near Rock Creek.

Mt Massive was a great side trip on my CT thru back in 2014. I camped near the trail junction and was joined by a very large group of young people on a work crew. There were a lot of day hikers doing that hike. Bagging 14ers and 13ers seems to be a Colorado thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Mt Massive was a great side trip on my CT thru back in 2014. I camped near the trail junction and was joined by a very large group of young people on a work crew. There were a lot of day hikers doing that hike. Bagging 14ers and 13ers seems to be a Colorado thing.
    Just like bagging 4,000 footers here in NH. The parking lots overflow onto the highway for 1/2 a mile nearly every weekend. It's gotten completely out of control. On one hand it's nice so many people are out hiking, on the other, it's putting a big strain on the trails and infrastructure.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

A trend reinforced by the scourge of social media and geotagging. Everyone wants that perfect Instagram shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    A trend reinforced by the scourge of social media and geotagging. Everyone wants that perfect Instagram shot.

Don't get me started...

I lived in CO in the 1980's and climbed 25 or so 14ers, some repeatedly. I liked to sleep on the summit overnight if the weather was clear. I didn't have a sleeping bag. I carried a large rucksack with a huge top sleeve and would unload it, put on all my clothes, and climb inside. I did this on Elbert, Gray's/Torreys, Longs, and others. It was always great to watch the sunrise while making a cup of coffee, then get ready to hike down.

I hiked thru the Chicago Basin on Day 2 of a 105-mile hike to the east end of the Weminuche, back in the early '80s. Backpackers were lounging right on the trail, as there was literally nowhere to pitch a tent, that wasn't already occupied.
    It didn't seem possible to have more overnight visitors there. Overuse is definitely not a new thing.
    After Chicago Basin, I saw basically one party or person each day for the next week.

++ New Posts ++