WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It’s being tracked on FKTs. Go here https://fastestknowntime.com/tracking

I wonder if extreme hikers suffer from knee, foot, and other joint problems later in life.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I wonder if extreme hikers suffer from knee, foot, and other joint problems later in life.
    I'd be surprised if they don't.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

DNF due to quad injury
    Moses is my 2012 Trail name and was given to me at Fontana Dam

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    They pretty much suffer from them during their hiking life - not just later. Like any athlete, they are almost always nursing some sort of minor injury. You can't push yourself to the levels they perform at without injury. Generally, the injuries are minor and they simply perform (hike) through them. Pretty much goes for any athletic activity done at an elite level.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Steger View Post
    DNF due to quad injury
    Ouch!! That sucks and really hurts if it's a pulled quadricep muscle ,like literally pulls off the knee cap!!

Hopefully for his sake it's just a minor quad tendon tear that will heal itself.

Quote Originally Posted by k2basecamp View Post
    It’s being tracked on FKTs. Go here https://fastestknowntime.com/tracking
    evidently the page was loading an older version. No idea why it wasn't pulling up the latest for me.

Too bad he DNF'ed
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries
    Images

To bad about the injury. He was hinking with The real hiking viking.Saw that in hawks video.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

I wonder what effect long-term lack of animal protein in the diet has on muscle development in vegans? Can pea protein really substitute for beef? Serious question. High-quality protein is maybe even more important as you get older...

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I wonder what effect long-term lack of animal protein in the diet has on muscle development in vegans? Can pea protein really substitute for beef? Serious question. High-quality protein is maybe even more important as you get older...
    There are 9 essential amino acids we need to get from the food we eat. Meat contains all nine. Legumes don’t contain all nine, but you can still get all nine from plant based foods. For example beans and corn together provide all nine.

Check this article out--pretty good insights from Scott Jurek himself on what it was like and what caused him to step away and get off trail:
    https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a3...ecord-attempt/

I'm intrigued by where he ended. So, he was 250 miles into his hike. That would likely mean he got picked up at South Arm Road and his last mountain was Old Blue. The terrain wasn't going to ease up as he headed into the Mahoosucs and then NH and the Whites.

Covering 250 miles in a week means approx. 35 miles per day. That's just mind-blowing to think he started with Katahdin and then the 100 mile wilderness at that pace. He would've had only one more day in Maine.
    It's ridiculous the number of difficult peaks he covered in one day at that pace.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    RockDoc,
    I have used pea protein in a DIY concoction for backpacking. Why pea protein? In was in the house.
    Based on the information here, 9 essential amino acids, etc., I would like to switch to meat protein in my protein shakes. I found an unflavored WHEY protein at Walmart. What other animal protein powders are available over the counter?
    Thanks for your help and insight over the years.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    RockDoc,
    I have used pea protein in a DIY concoction for backpacking. Why pea protein? In was in the house.
    Based on the information here, 9 essential amino acids, etc., I would like to switch to meat protein in my protein shakes. I found an unflavored WHEY protein at Walmart. What other animal protein powders are available over the counter?
    Thanks for your help and insight over the years.
    Wayne
    I actually did a bit of research on my own.
    I answered my question. Whey protein is a complete protein. Add on trail jerky and my usual assortment of nuts, nut butters, etc. and decent freeze brief evening meals and I’m good.
    Thanks for the good information in this thread.
    Wayne

FYI, you can listen to the FKT podcast interview of Scott over this latest attempt here:
    https://fastestknowntime.com/podcast/155-scott-jurek
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++