WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default best part of PAs AT?

63 yr old hiker in good shape. What is the best 100 mile stretch of the AT in Pennsylvania?

Pen Mar Park North 100 miles.
    If you can start in Harpers Ferry, WV and go north 100 even better
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I second Gambits selection.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I second Gambits selection.
    I 4th that. Fairly easy with some flat agricultural for variety, not the famous PSA rocks yet.

You might enjoy the true essence of PA trail that folks moan about-501 shelter north to DWG.

So many treasures: Port Clinton pavilion, hit the barber shop and "secret" bar underneath the fire station. Pinnacle, knifes edge, bear rocks, Lehigh Gap/Palmerton (old superfund site). The hike up to Wind gap and beyond to DWG is a great finish.

Pray for no rain on the rocks and embrace the difficulty. It's the real PA.

PenMar area is nice too....

The best part of PA's AT is when you hit the bridge over the Delaware River.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    The best part of PA's AT is when you hit the bridge over the Delaware River.
    Haha. So true. Made the best of it while I was there....but I don't think I will hike another PA mile ever.

But even north of the Delaware, you’d have the rocks all the way to Highpoint (NJ)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    But even north of the Delaware, you’d have the rocks all the way to Highpoint (NJ)
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The NJ rocks aren't nearly as bad as the PA rocks. After PA, many thru hikers comment how surprisingly nice NJ is. Then NY kicks you in the butt again until you cross the Hutson.

I would only suggest doing PA in the spring when it is still cool and a bit rainy out. The first 2 times I hiked through PA was in late June and thought I'd die. Second 2 times were in late April and it was much more pleasant.

And yes, the first 100 miles of PA is much easier on the feet then the last 100 miles.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

the first 100 for sure. i agree spring is best.more water less snakes

I liked the entire section from HF to Boiling Springs. Have yet to go further north. That southern section isn’t yet in “Rockslyvania”

Images

Another vote for southern PA: Pen-Mar to Duncannon is a nice 5-7 day section. I recommend staying at The Doyle in Duncannon. Not for everyone, but that place has got some real character.

The northern half of PA isn't 100% rocks. There are several 2-3 mile sections of easy peasy dirt road walking thrown in there that people must forget about, probably because those miles fly by so quickly.

I completely disagree with the above comment about NJ. The first 40 miles to High Point Shelter were every bit as rocky as northern PA. I think people find it more enjoyable because unlike PA there are lots of views. The last 30-ish miles was easy except for the "Stairway to Heaven" climb.
    It's all good in the woods.

I personally had no issue with PA rocks and will go back time and time again over my lifetime. I can agree tho that the rocks get worse after 501shelter, and the northern 30 miles of PA is pretty rough in general, but I think the state gets a bad wrap due to some rocks on the trail.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

There were some rocks in NJ, but it seemed they slowly improved the further you went. Having said that, I recall walking up to Sunfish Pond and thinking it was absolutely gorgeous. However, by the time I was halfway around the lake I couldn't wait to escape that shoreline into the woods. The rocky trail right next to the shoreline was among the most tedious I can recall. Absolutely hated that pond. The fact that it is such an insignificant body of water in comparison to the entire trail and yet it still bothers me attests to the frustration I experienced in the short time I was there.

Images

Other than Sunfish Pond, I didn’t think the rocks in NJ were bothersome at all. And Sunfiish Pond was beautiful enough to offset the pain of the rocks.

Best part of PA is definitely Penmar to Duncannon. If you decide not to stay at the Doyle, at least have dinner and a beer there.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

++ New Posts ++