WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Any new recipes?

Anyone try any new backpacking recipes this year they want to share? Or just various food items you took on trail for the first time?

I did a bunch of short section hikes 2-4 days types of things. April was cold in GA, May was warmer in VA. I found out I can take carrots and a couple of those guacamole cups for the first 2-3 days. I peeled and cut the carrots and put them in a small bag with a damp paper towel. The guacamole does pretty well so long as it's cool temps. Same for the grass fed "beef sticks" I found at Costco. I put these in a sealed bag. Definitely not something to carry when the day temps are too warm. My last hike it was pretty warm and day 3 that snack was a LITTLE SKETCHY.

I make a grain free bread (keto and Wheat belly compliant for anyone wondering) and discovered it is AMAZEBALLS on the trail. It doesn't crumble. I carried peanut butter to put on it. It's pretty calorie dense and was a great portion of my daily lunch. This easily lasts 4 days on trail although by the time it got much warmer I had stopped hiking due to knee issues. And talk about FILLING.

So what worked or didn't work for you that you tried for the first time this year?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Added True lemon packets. The extra "acid" really woke up old recipes, ie salmon, evoo/mayo, couscous and broccoli. Used chicken bone broth with chicken, rice, peas and cashews. Brought back oatmeal "carrot cake," with dehydrated carrots, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins and walnuts- never sure if it's dessert or breakfast. Added a "happy hour" milkshake of hi-protein essentials and nido so I could have enough energy to cook and eat well in the evening. Would have more to share, but did the Hostel Hop from Atkins to Pearisburg, and indulged in some really fine meals at Quarter Way and Wood's Hole. Bon appetit!

Why not honey as well for your AMAZEBALLS ?
    it also is calorie dense,great for energy, natural.
    Not this year but I've used honey packs like from chik Fila also good on rice cakes

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Why not honey as well for your AMAZEBALLS ?
    it also is calorie dense,great for energy, natural.
    Not this year but I've used honey packs like from chik Fila also good on rice cakes
    I can't eat honey. It spikes my blood glucose MUCH too MUCH.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Not necessarily a recipe but I do like to add a little flair to my bland food beyond simple condiments like soy sauce, siracha, and pepper flakes. A number of hardy extras travel well:
    - Garlic
    - Ginger
    - Scallions
    - Carrots
    - Sun Dried Tomatoes
    - Dried Fruits
    - or whatever else inspires me in the produce aisle

I made a cutting board that fits inside my pot from one of the flexible kitchen counter mats.

And instead of eating in the dirt like a heathen I bring a placemat. A Tyvek envelope works great and packs small, just remove the adhesive flap. When it gets dirty you can turn it inside out. Can also be used as a bag for foraging, or trash or whatever else.

Kitchen.jpg

I like taking Colby hard cheddar cheese and hard boiled eggs for the first couple days. You could take salsa and dip your veggies in or take some romaine lettuce for dipping in the salsa.
    And have you tried nuts or cranberries or raisins in your homemade bread?

If you have a campfire you could take a potato wrapped in foil and add whatever on top of potato like salsa,cheese butter etc.
    Or it takes a little work but campfire pizza is awesome. You could make your own crust and add sauce, cheese whatever and find a flat rock to let it hang around the fire to a smokey crusty cheesy yummy pizza .

I like to eat can you tell? Country ham sandwiches pre-made with spicy brown mustard. And there's always the "holiday theme meal " with Tyson bag chicken or dehydrated, instant potato, gravy,stuffing,and a veggie.

Images

Summer Sausage and Red Beans n Rice package is a very hearty meal.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Summer Sausage and Red Beans n Rice package is a very hearty meal.
    Can you link or give more info on this red beans and rice package?
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

We brown lean hamburger, then rinse with hot water to remove excess fat. Then put in dehydrater until hard, dry and light. Package in food sealer bags portioned for each meal. For use as one-pot meal, boil water, add dehydrated vegetables, dehydrated cheddar cheese, and dry hamburger. Put the pot in a cozy for 10 minutes to rehydrate. Excellent filing high-protein hiker food at reasonable cost and no hiker hunger caused by huge carb insulin spikes. You don't need carbs or sugar for "energy"... downstream consequences are grim... Our bodies prefer ancestral foods, or else things go way wrong as you get older.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    Good tasting stuff

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    A variety of companies make packages of red beans and rice, which can be found in the grocery store. Backpackerspantry also makes red beans and rice.

those boxed meals are loaded with sodium!

Images

That's why they taste so good

Yes, indeed the reason. Before times (younger, single) those were the best way to get to my heart. Oh so tasty with some chunk cheddar. Older and wiser and still stupid, I don’t want to risk the consequences of too much sodium. But I guess I should have added that HYOH or Eat Your Own Eat

Have you had health issues based on your sodium intake?

The bread I make is a little different than the Dr. Berg bread recipe but that's where I started. I simply reduced the amount of Arrowroot powder and increased the Almond flour. I always make a double batch for the 2 of us. It lasts us about 5 days which is how long it will stay fresh as there are no preservatives in our home made bread.
    So here's the recipe: (I calculated calories, carbs, and fiber as a "ballpark number")

Ingredients

Dry Ingredients: (double this recipe) nutrition data is for double recipe

• 1 1/3 cup almond flour 1730 cal, 64g carbs, 37g fiber
    • 1/2 cup arrowroot flour 457 cal, 113g carbs, 4g fiber
    • 1/3 cup coconut flour 315 cal, 41 g carbs, 22g fiber
    • 1 tsp sea salt
    • 2 tsp active dry yeast
    • 1 ½ Tbsp very finely ground chia seeds 210 cal, 12g carbs, 12g fiber
    • 2 Tbsp organic psyllium husk powder 120 cal, 24g carbs, 24g fiber

TOTALS: 2,832 cal, 254g carbs, 99g fiber (does not account for maple syrup/sweetner)
    makes about 21 pieces: 135 cal, 12g carbs, 4.7g fiber, 7.3g net carbs
    Wet Ingredients:

• 1 ¼ cup filtered water
    • 2 tsp maple syrup (This is consumed by the yeast, which lowers the glycemic index.)
    • 1 egg

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot flour, coconut flour, and sea salt.
    2. Heat water at 105-110 °F. Add 2 tsp of maple syrup and stir. Add the yeast and let the mixture stand for 10 minutes. The yeast should bubble or foam. If it doesn’t, start all over again.
    3. Stir the finely ground chia and psyllium powder into the yeast mixture. Let it stand for 1 minute to thicken, then whisk.
    4. Pour the thickened yeast-chia mixture into the dry ingredients, and mix with a wooden spoon until thick and fully combined. The dough will be slightly sticky, but workable. Knead for 1 minute.
    5. Put the kneaded dough back into the bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and place in a warm spot to rise for 1 hour.
    6. Preheat the oven at 425 °F with a pizza stone (or cooking sheet) inside.
    7. Divide the dough into two balls. Place one of the dough balls on a square parchment paper or a cutting board. Dip your hands in water and shape the other big dough ball into small round balls. Brush with egg wash, if desired. Use a serrated knife to cut a tic-tac-toe pattern on the top.
    8. Slide the prepared dough onto the preheated stone or cooking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Please note that baking time can vary; the measure of doneness is an internal temperature of 205-210 °F.
    9. Let your baked goodies cool completely on a wire rack. (Not allowing the loaf to fully cool before cutting may result in a gummy interior.) Once completely cooled, slice and serve, or store in an airtight container. To re-crisp crust, toast or reheat at 375 °F for 5-10 minutes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Have you had health issues based on your sodium intake?
    Not I. I don't over do it.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Good tasting stuff

Thanks for the idea! I prefer to freezer bag cook and I'm guessing this wouldn't be a FBC friendly recipe (from the cooking instructions see below) but maybe I can figure a way to work this into my backpacking dinner rotation. Anyway thanks again!

STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS
    1. MIX 3 cups water, Rice Mix and 2 tbsp. butter, margarine or olive oil in 2-quart saucepan until well blended. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover.
    2. SIMMER 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent rice and beans from sticking.
    3. REMOVE from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.
    Serving Suggestion: Add a half pound of sliced sausage to make a complete meal.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++