WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Greetings from a new Member to WhiteBlaze

Hello Community,

I've just joined WhiteBlaze, and in this situation, it is always good to say hello. If I am posting this in the wrong section, I ask a Moderator to please move it to where it belongs, and Thank You. I used to dabble when I lived in Maryland, and would do weekend things or day hikes in the Harpers Ferry and Maryland and PA areas. This October, I will be joing a couple friends, who have been tackling the AT one week at a time these last 15 years. They are picking up at the Shenandoah Valley area and continuing Southbound. Looking forward to seeing "The Colors" if the timing works in my favor. Been training, increasing weight in pack and distance, though things are on the more flat side of things down here in Florida. I will be looking through the forums, especially food ideas, which I saw on the list. Just very excited to be adding this hobby back to the active list again. I love being in the woods.

Definitely looking forward to looking around and making friends.

Happy Trails everyone.

Hamsterman

Images

Welcome to Whiteblaze! We’re an interesting bunch. There’s a LOT of really good info to be had here along with some entertaining discussions at times. See ‘ya around!
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Well hidey-ho old neighbor welcome aboard jump on in the waters warm. I started a thread sometime ago on hiker shape got alot responses check it out.

Welcome from the MS Gulf Coast!

Glad to see you here!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterman View Post

Been training, increasing weight in pack and distance, though things are on the more flat side of things down here in Florida.

Welcome! Kudos on your plans.

If you have access to a treadmill that elevates (changes grade), that might help you train.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    If you have access to a treadmill that elevates (changes grade), that might help you train.
    I've been using one of those at my gym (at 15% grade) as a supplement for getting in shape for an upcoming section hike; I find that the stairclimber machines are too hard on my knees and do not duplicate "real world" conditions on the trail. An elevated treadmill does though, and it gives my legs a really good workout (I finish of with a faster mile at -3% grade to help work the lower legs and reduce shin splints).

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    I've been using one of those at my gym (at 15% grade) as a supplement for getting in shape for an upcoming section hike; I find that the stairclimber machines are too hard on my knees and do not duplicate "real world" conditions on the trail. An elevated treadmill does though, and it gives my legs a really good workout (I finish of with a faster mile at -3% grade to help work the lower legs and reduce shin splints).
    Agreed - we have an elliptical at home, and while it's a nice workout, it's not the same. You don't really do ascending work; your weight pushes one foot platform down, which causes the other to rise, and you repeat.

Try walking backwards on the stair master. Set it on low carefully turn around while holding on to railings and walk down as the steps come up. Eventually you'll be able to let go of the handles.
    It's a great variable and you can get a decent affect on the quads and knees.

As well you can walk backwards on the treadmill at various degrees and speeds to simulate descents.

Welcome to whiteblaze!

Make your own plan, throw it around here, end up making your own choices based on feedback....
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++