WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rockfish Gap parking

I'm planning a section hike from James River Footbridge to Rockfish Gap. Does anyone have any updated info on if it's safe to park at the Tourist Information Center or around the trailhead for 5 days? Or do I need to plan on parking in Waynesboro and needing a shuttle to my car from the trailhead? Thank you

I parked here for 2 weeks:
    "Welcome Kiosk/Parking Area to Shenandoah National Park and Blue Ridge Parkway"

Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I, and friends of mine, have left our vehicles there more than once for multi-day hikes, and had no issues.

- willin'

Thanks! Is that the same location at the Rockfish Gap Tourist and information center?

No, that location is about a quarter mile away from the info center on the way in to the park. There is only room for a few cars there. Park in front of the closed run down old Howard Johnson’s. Lots of parking, lots of activity and I have never heard of any problems. The park service employees drives thru both lots. The info center moved up the hill and is very isolated.

I didn't think that hotel building was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    No, that location is about a quarter mile away from the info center on the way in to the park. There is only room for a few cars there. Park in front of the closed run down old Howard Johnson’s. Lots of parking, lots of activity and I have never heard of any problems. The park service employees drives thru both lots. The info center moved up the hill and is very isolated.

Just bumping this in hopes of confirming that 7+ days of parking at Rockfish Gap is still available and feasible. Thanks!

It still seems safe. There’s a lot of traffic that passes nearby due to 250 traffic, and a road that goes to homes and Swannanoa, in addition to skyline drive and brpkway. I would park where your car can be seen well from the road that comes off 250. You could also use the stanimal’s shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMartin View Post
    I didn't think that hotel building was still there.
    The Howard Johnson's building mentioned was a restaurant - while there were several lodging facilities around it at one time, none were ever part of that chain.

++ New Posts ++