WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 21 Days in Bald River Backcountry

Trip 212
    June 10-30, 2021.

This solo backpacking trip (with no resupply) happens in the Tennessee mountains. Incredibly I only see 2 backpackers the entire time.

All trip pics here---
    https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backp...r-Backcountry/

HIGHLIGHTS(**overnights)
    **21 DAYS WALKING POINT IN PANAMA JUNGLE
    **TWO BACKPACKERS SEEN IN 21 DAYS
    **36 CREEK CROSSINGS
    **LIGHTNING/RAIN HELLSTORM ON SKULL MT DAY 2
    **JEFF AND JOE BMT THRHIKERS IN SLED RUNNER GAP
    **PISSED OFF RATTLESNAKE ON NIT TOP MT
    **TRAILWORKED KIRKLAND CREEK
    **LIGHTNING/RAIN HELLSTORM IN DOG HOBBLE VALLEY DAY 12
    **NEW CS ON CANTRELL TOP MT
    **WINDSTORM IN SIX MILE GAP DAY 17

TRAIL
    Entrance at Baby Falls Tellico River Parking Area
    Tellico River Roadwalk Downstream
    Bald River Wilderness Trail #88
    **Black Cave Camp**
    Bald River Trail Heading South
    Cow Camp Up
    Henderson Top Trail Heading East/Southeast
    **Skull Nut Gap Camp**
    Henderson Top Trail Heading South
    FS Logging Cut 40832 East
    **Skull Gap Spring Cove**
    408 Heading South
    FS Logging Cut 40921 Heading Southeast
    Sugar Mt BMT Heading North
    **Pretty Pine Gap**
    Sugar Mt Backtrack and Down to Brookshire Creek
    **Tony Camp aka Confluence Camp**
    Brookshire Creek Trail Heading Southeast(BMT)
    **Sled Runner Gap**
    State Line Ridge Heading West
    **Hazel Gap**
    State Line Ridge Northwest to Sandy Gap
    Kirkland Creek Trail Northeast
    **Crossing 12 Secret Camp**
    Kirkland Trail Down
    **Crossing 3 Camp**
    Kirkland Down to Bald River Crossing
    FS 126 Roadwalk Heading West
    Bald River Trail North
    **Rock Ledge Camp**
    Bald River Trail South
    **Big Pine Camp**
    Bald River Trail South
    FS 126 Roadwalk Back to Kirkland Creek
    Kirkland Creek Trail Up
    **Crossing 12 Secret Camp**
    Kirkland Up to Sandy Gap
    **Sandy Gap Camp**
    BMT Heading North out of Sandy Gap
    **Little Six Gap Camp**
    BMT to Six Mile Gap and Cantrell Top Mt
    **Cantrell Top Camp**
    BMT Backtrack
    **Six Mile Gap**
    Waucheesi Mt Manway Up to Waucheesi Mt
    Waucheesi Mt Roadwalk Down
    Warrior's Passage Trail Heading Northwest
    **Tobe Creek Camp**
    Warrior's Passage Trail Northwest
    **Warrior's Hideout Camp**
    Warrior's Passage Trail Backtrack
    **Wildcat Creek Camp**(2)
    Warrior's Passage Trail Northwest and Out
    Old Furnace Roadwalk to Tellico Beach Drive In and OUT.

My trip begins with a heavy McHale pack on Tellico River in TN---at Baby Falls.

I enter Bald River Gorge wilderness and jct Cow Camp trail which climbs hard to this trail jct with Henderson Top trail---as seen in this pic.

Welcome to Henderson Top aka Skull Mt---there's a trail in here somewhere. Don't get snake bit.

I finish Skull Mt which pops me out on gated logging cut 40832 which has a spring water source and I find this cove CS.

40832 connects me to Logging cut 40921 which after 42 hill climbs pops me out on the Benton MacKaye trail atop Sugar Mt.

I stay on the BMT and fall off Sugar Mt and head up Brookshire Creek trail---about 2,000 foot climb in 3 or 4 miles. Just in time for my 71st birthday---and hauling too much weight.

Near the top of Brookshire I run into the only backpackers I see for the trip---Jeff and Joe BMT thruhikers. (This is the midway point on the 300 mile trail). Friendly sorts so we talk for 90 minutes.

I leave the boys as they head north on the BMT and I head west on State Line Ridge where I almost stumble over Jimmy but he's not Jimmy anymore cuz he's very pissed off and won't get off the trail to let me pass. His name is Adolf Hissler.

Not worry about ticks, kids---or bears or lightning bolts. Worry about brooding Rattleheads. This is why I only see 2 backpackers the whole trip.

I leave Mr Pit Viper (hence 21 Days Walking Point in Panama Jungle)---and reach Hazel Gap below Hazelnut Knob and set up camp and unfurl my favorite new item---summer bag---WM Everlite 45F rated at 14oz.

State Line Ridge connects me to Kirland Creek trail which I descend and cross Bald River on left in this pic---Kirk is on right.

For most crossings I de-boot into crocs and carry my boots under the pack lid for easier crossing.

Voila---boots properly stowed.

Kirkland connects me back into Bald River wilderness so I take a break by Cascade waterfall.

I once backpacked past the Cascades and it looked like this.

After sporting in Bald River for a couple nights I backtrack south and reconnect to Kirkland and do it a second time up to its end at Sandy Gap where I find my old CS alittle worn out. (Back on the BMT btw).

Simple solution for a muddy CS---gather up a bunch of dead leaves and re-coat the ground surface.

Typical backpacking trail snacks. (Brought about 40-50 such items).

I leave Sandy Gap on BMT and spend one night atop Cantrell Top Mt and a night in Six Mile Gap and then take the Waucheesi Mt manway up steeply to the top of Waucheesi Mt.

Waucheesi Mt connects me to Warrior's Passage for another swaray to Wildcat Creek.

The biggest challenge on Warrior's Passage is to cross Wildcat Creek which can rage in high water. I make it across easily as it's low.

This is what Wildcat Creek can do in a hard rain. No way to cross.

This pic is from a previous trip and shows a typical Wildcat Creek crossing---the ford is easy except for the big pack weight.

Once in Wildcat Creek Camp I prepare for the Uncle Fungus sheep dip to remove ticks, fleas, butt worms, scrotal flukes, midges, ear mites and scalp leeches.

I find a pinhole leak in my Trail Pro Thermarest and after repeated dunkings find the hole and fix it in camp.

Day 21 dawns pretty tho hot and so I finish Warrior's Passage out to Old Furnace road and 3 miles later reach Tellico Beach hamburger stand for pickup.

Tellico Beach Drive In is right on Tellico River so I dump the pack and immediately go swimming with my friend Dr Bronners.

And so I lay out my crap and wait for my ride home.

Default 21 Days in Bald River Backcountry

Another awesome trip report!

Wow that looks great, I'm glad you made it past old Adolf in one piece!

Great report as always. Been planning a trip to explore this area after passing through on the BMT.

Very cool, sorry I missed you on Kirkland my friend, I wound up having to work. Next up: return to the Snowbirds. I went last weekend and the high creek air conditioning is working again this summer. Also camped right beside the trail on Kings Meadow, nice place to be right now.

Outstanding trail report and pictures make it the total package. Happy Birthday Tipi.

Outstanding trail report and pictures make it the total package. Happy Birthday Tipi.

oops dbl post

Very nice trip thanks for sharing! So you wait until the end of your trip bath? You stay stinky and nasty until that day 21 bath? No judgment just asking. I bet that's the best bath ever feeling.
    There's alot of 51 year Olds that can't do what you so.
    Happy birthday brother!!

I was just looking at that awesome new summer bag? Or is it a quilt? What are the measurements? And I noticed you got a picture with Adolf the Rattlesnake with his forked tongue out, pretty cool pic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mockernut View Post
    Another awesome trip report!
    Thanks for the comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    Wow that looks great, I'm glad you made it past old Adolf in one piece!
    it's always a challenge backpacking weedy trails in pit viper season. "Keep Your Eeyballs Open and Your Butt Cheeks Clenched".

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Great report as always. Been planning a trip to explore this area after passing through on the BMT.
    The BMT passes dozens of excellent blue blaze opportunities which I'm surprised more hikers don't explore.

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    Very cool, sorry I missed you on Kirkland my friend, I wound up having to work. Next up: return to the Snowbirds. I went last weekend and the high creek air conditioning is working again this summer. Also camped right beside the trail on Kings Meadow, nice place to be right now.
    Snowbird is my August destination I think---I wanna haul water from Deep Gap #2 and camp up on the actual King---and also the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by goatee View Post
    Thanks for the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Very nice trip thanks for sharing! So you wait until the end of your trip bath? You stay stinky and nasty until that day 21 bath? No judgment just asking. I bet that's the best bath ever feeling.
    There's alot of 51 year Olds that can't do what you so.
    Happy birthday brother!!
    I went underwater at numerous spots---in Bald River, in Wildcat, in Kirkland, where Brookshire joins Bald etc. The only pic I took was at Wildcat.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    I was just looking at that awesome new summer bag? Or is it a quilt? What are the measurements? And I noticed you got a picture with Adolf the Rattlesnake with his forked tongue out, pretty cool pic!!
    It's really both---a quilt and a full zippered bag. The bottom foot box is cinched with a drawstring or released to open up like a blanket. The whole thing can also be zipped up into mummy config if temps dip.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice trip report tippi And Happy belated Birthday..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

As a fellow vegan, I concur with your snack choices: gomacro bars and primal jerky are always staples in my food bag. Looks like another great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    Nice trip report tippi And Happy belated Birthday..
    Thanks for the blurb.

Quote Originally Posted by fudgefoot View Post
    As a fellow vegan, I concur with your snack choices: gomacro bars and primal jerky are always staples in my food bag. Looks like another great trip!
    My vegan status is only because I cannot tolerate dairy or cheese or milk due to severe sinus infections---and vegetarian of course since 1973---so vegan is the way to go. On this trip I took out many Outdoor Herbivore meals with Penne-Demic being my fave.

index.jpg

On my Snowbird tripI hope to return to eating more Quinoa as it can be taken out in raw form and brought to boil and left in pot cozy for 20 minutes and it's edible---with salt and olive oil and tahini. Really add tahini to all my cook meals except oatmeal.

980526-600x600-A.jpg
    I take out two of these containers---heavy but disposable containers---and seal the flip top lid with ripstop tape.

And of course old fashioned oatmeal is a staple and used for breakfast and dinner. "Loaded" oatmeal means everything added---peanut butter, cherries, pineapple, black walnuts, almond butter, dates, honey, blueberries---and sometimes protein powder if I can find it.

indexrrrr.jpg

14e195ec-c3c6-486b-9b18-9d2628037db2.8ba58aa0248b059c02813b8473c7204b.jpeg

Journal Entries
    Images

Very Nice as always Tipi!! Thanks for the report!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Tipi, thank you for taking the time to post your trip reports. Pics are always nice, narrative makes me wish I was there, and the bits of humor are appreciated.

Tipi, you are indeed on par with Fletcher in both the macro elements of your trips and micro elements of what is working well for you or what isn't. Always a pleasure to peruse well constructed photos regardless if they are about fabric repairs or deadly man-eating snakes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++