WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Durango hotel and restaurant recommendations...

Looking for a nice hotel in downtown Durango to stay with wife and service dog before and after the train ride back from Silverton. Planning to hike the 74 miles to Silverton in 5 days and catch train back where she flys out following day. Last time I stayed at HI suites, very nice but lil out of town had to uber or shuttle to eat etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The General Palmer is a historic hotel and it is right next to the train station. I stayed there for two nights in 2014 after my thru hike of the Colorado Trail. I took the train out to Silverton and back. The hotel is on the expensive side but I thought it was worth it after a month on the trail.

Home Slice Pizza!

I stayed at the Best Western Plus Rio Grande in 2014 and 2018, coming and going to the Weminuche, and will probably stay there again in late September. It's very nice, less than a quarter mile from the train station, and has a free airport shuttle. Coming in on late flights, and taking the train out in the morning, I've had the driver take me by WalMart for canister fuel and stuff, too. Very convenient.

Thx for the recs....airport shuttle is key! Good call.

Default Durango Restaurants

Breakfast:
    Oscars Cafe in Town Plaza. Or,
    Durango Diner. 957 Main Ave
    Both are fabulous. Both will “smother” any meal with green chili… Just ask! Gary sells his own Diner green chili by jar or case. Also available at nearby City Market. (Just bought 2 cases. Shipping available. Previous 2 cases just got us through the lockdown…. Thanks Gary!!)

Lunch or dinner:
    Griego’s 2603 Main Ave. (Old A & W Root Beer restaurant) Again, every meal can be “smothered” with green chili. Like double combo burritos…SMOTHERED! WHOA!
    Olde Tymer’s Cafe 1000 Main Ave.
    Place needs a good cleaning but excellent food. Wonderful patio out back. And yeah, superb green chili.

All 4 of these restaurants have been open and locals’ favorites for over 40 years.

Oh yes, a new Mexican restaurant in the back of the Main Mall. 835 Main Ave. Fabulous!

Sorry to be late to this party, but just got back from wolfing TONS of green chili in Dgo!
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Lots of “less expensive” motels on North Main. I like the Best Western, just west of town.

Quote Originally Posted by McPick View Post
    Breakfast:
    Oscars Cafe in Town Plaza. Or,
    Durango Diner. 957 Main Ave
    Both are fabulous. Both will “smother” any meal with green chili… Just ask! Gary sells his own Diner green chili by jar or case. Also available at nearby City Market. (Just bought 2 cases. Shipping available. Previous 2 cases just got us through the lockdown…. Thanks Gary!!)

Lunch or dinner:
    Griego’s 2603 Main Ave. (Old A & W Root Beer restaurant) Again, every meal can be “smothered” with green chili. Like double combo burritos…SMOTHERED! WHOA!
    Olde Tymer’s Cafe 1000 Main Ave.
    Place needs a good cleaning but excellent food. Wonderful patio out back. And yeah, superb green chili.

All 4 of these restaurants have been open and locals’ favorites for over 40 years.

Oh yes, a new Mexican restaurant in the back of the Main Mall. 835 Main Ave. Fabulous!

Sorry to be late to this party, but just got back from wolfing TONS of green chili in Dgo!
    Great thx! Last time I had an amazing breakfast burrito at Durango doughworks! Think she wants to stay at either general Palmer or Strater down town near train station. We will be in Durango for 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 1 dinner. Love me some green chilies!!!!!

Suggest you request top floor room at Strater. Squeaky, old floorboards above can be a bit (um) disturbing at night!
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    I stayed at the Best Western Plus Rio Grande in 2014 and 2018, coming and going to the Weminuche, and will probably stay there again in late September. It's very nice, less than a quarter mile from the train station, and has a free airport shuttle.
    Update for anyone who reads this-Best Western still shows airport shuttle as an amenity, but turns out it was discontinued back in May.
    Durango Cab has a good reputation, and I've also used Buckhorn Limo for an airport shuttle and dropoff/pickup at Molas Pass/Purgatory Flats(cheaper than the Durango-Silverton train for more than 1 person)..

have you considered an AirBnB? (no, I don't own one, yet, and it likely wouldn't be in CO)
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

++ New Posts ++