WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

FKT is not my personal thing — not least of which is that I don't have, and have never had, either the physical or mental capacity for it — but I stand in awe of the rare specimens of humanity who do.

But there's a time and place for everything, and this seems to be it.

WB-Trail_running.jpg

No insanity, no mental illness, no reality distortion!
    Just humans pushing themselves far beyond driven, strength.
    With all the bad stuff going on out there I look at this and been following this with nothing but a positive thing!

Based on the map, he seems to have fallen significantly behind. Anyone know why? (weather, injury, other?)

https://kristianmorganat.lt-leg-appl...stracking.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Based on the map, he seems to have fallen significantly behind. Anyone know why? (weather, injury, other?)

https://kristianmorganat.lt-leg-appl...stracking.com/
    had a bad day yesterday. he was in a hotel. he's back on the trail and moving north

Journal Entries

Let's say Kristian fails to beat Sabbe's record, coming in late by a few hours or even a couple days. He would not earn a FKT and wouldn't appear on whoever's list of record holders.

But he would have bested every one of the pre-Sabbe records by a significant margin, better than Thompson, Davis, Jurek, Meltzer, McConaughey, all of whom ARE on the list. I understand that second isn't first. But somehow that just feels so wrong.

Deleted……….
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 07-03-2022 at 13:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    had a bad day yesterday. he was in a hotel. he's back on the trail and moving north
    He gives some details in this and a later post on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfj02YrJn_m/

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    He gives some details in this and a later post on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfj02YrJn_m/
    I don’t have an Instagram account, but I was able to see the post in the link above where he said he hit a “brick wall”, spent the night in a hotel, and started running again the next day. Can you summarize what he said in later instagram posts?

no instagram/facebook or anything here either so any details are appreciated. I went backpacking 2 nights, got back and checked yesterday he looked 40+ miles behind, right now it's looking like 25 so he's still in the game.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    no instagram/facebook or anything here either so any details are appreciated. I went backpacking 2 nights, got back and checked yesterday he looked 40+ miles behind, right now it's looking like 25 so he's still in the game.
    he just passed through Hanover, N.H.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Let's say Kristian fails to beat Sabbe's record, coming in late by a few hours or even a couple days. He would not earn a FKT and wouldn't appear on whoever's list of record holders.

But he would have bested every one of the pre-Sabbe records by a significant margin, better than Thompson, Davis, Jurek, Meltzer, McConaughey, all of whom ARE on the list. I understand that second isn't first. But somehow that just feels so wrong.
    I spoke with Kristian the day after he stopped at a hotel near Route 103 in Vt. I encourage him to get back at it because of the very reason you mention. He is over 100 miles ahead of all the others who have run the AT fast. Myself, Jurek, Stringbean,JPD, Thompson. He had a mental breakdown. Something I've had multiple times on my attempts. I explained to him that he's so far ahead of us, he needs to keep going. The second fastest time on this journey at this point is incredible. He's still got potential to get under 43 days. Without that one fast guy, (Sabbe), he'd be the best. He's not done yet, but he's moving well again, and I'll continue to be in contact encouraging him to forge on. To be able to accomplish this journey on the AT at a very ridiculous fast pace is a priceless adventure. Nothing better than having a crew to help for 45+ days, hiking on the AT, without a heavy pack. It may not be the choice for most folks out there, but it's incredible to have the support and help along the way like this.

Karl, coming from someone from his own ultra-running fraternity, your encouragement must have meant a lot to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Meltzer View Post
    I spoke with Kristian the day after he stopped at a hotel near Route 103 in Vt. I encourage him to get back at it because of the very reason you mention. He is over 100 miles ahead of all the others who have run the AT fast. Myself, Jurek, Stringbean,JPD, Thompson. He had a mental breakdown. Something I've had multiple times on my attempts. I explained to him that he's so far ahead of us, he needs to keep going. The second fastest time on this journey at this point is incredible. He's still got potential to get under 43 days. Without that one fast guy, (Sabbe), he'd be the best. He's not done yet, but he's moving well again, and I'll continue to be in contact encouraging him to forge on. To be able to accomplish this journey on the AT at a very ridiculous fast pace is a priceless adventure. Nothing better than having a crew to help for 45+ days, hiking on the AT, without a heavy pack. It may not be the choice for most folks out there, but it's incredible to have the support and help along the way like this.
    I've always found it very cool how you guys help each other break your own records. That is true brotherhood and sportsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I've always found it very cool how you guys help each other break your own records. That is true brotherhood and sportsmanship.
    Amen.

Living right off the AT here, I've had brief opportunities to meet Horton, Jurek, and Meltzer, and to hear JPD speak at an event. Each of them came across as simultaneously competitive and oriented towards encouraging each other along. It's quite a combination.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post

Here's the text of his Instagram post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Morgan
    THANKYOU EVERYONE! Your support and kind words mean so much to kristian and continuously give him strength to complete this journey.

Yesterday we took time out as Kristian had seriously hit a brick wall. We went to a hotel I gave him a change of clothes and took him out to a wonderful restaurant where we had a steak and a glass of wine…

With this and all of your continuous and wonderful heart felt support he was back on the trail this morning. And it was music to our ears to hear him in the distance laughing with someone before he reached us to refuel.

so keep supporting and keep sending all the love and good wishes and know that it is sincerely appreciated by all of us. I really couldn’t believe all of the personal messages that kept coming through. Wow! To think that you have personally taken time out of your day to let Kristian know he has your support is humbling… And once again I say thank you

Sabbe is still the King��

Supported king anyways. Master of miles, indeed.

Kristian is still out there busting it up and stretching himself beyond his limits which is just as rad IMHO

he's almost cut it to 20 miles behind, looks like 22-23 right now. Well put though that 2nd is still incredible. Hopefully he doesn't push it too far trying to catch up.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I'm seeing him about 33 miles down at what I assume is the end of the day today. So he's not slowing down, but he's not gaining either. I'm only going by his tracker which shows his progress and Sabbe's.

Looks like the gap is closing.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++