WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Consider Damascus and Harpers Ferry

For my planning, I would be grateful for your helping me understand the difficulty of the trail in the vicinity of Harper’s Ferry and also Damascus.
    I am a bit of an older guy considering a 5 day hike (50 miles) beginning or ending in these (and a couple of other) towns. 😊 If I’m in the wrong thread I apologize.
    Thanks!
    Seesfar

As a response to this and your other thread. You and your son could fly into Dulles Airport and Bearsden Hostile is right on trail and exactly 34.8 miles via Rt 7 west.
    From there hike north to the Blackburn trail center/Hostile or to the David Lessoner shelter. HF is about 20 miles from Rt7.
    Harpers Ferry is a pretty cool little town with lots of history and museums y'all could grab lunch there.
    Then maryland is 40 miles. Right out of HF you'll walk 3 miles on the c& o canal which is also the AT.
    Maryland has the original Washington monument and the only war correspondence monument in the United States right on trail.
    There's also about half way through maryland a free camp site with showes ,sinks,toilets.

Oh and the only hard miles would be the first 10 some of which they call the roller coaster. But the rest of these miles are pretty easy some of the easiest on the entire trail. And you would be hiking in 3 states and have completed 2 !!

Dry Cool! Thank you kind sir!

“Very” cool

I really liked hiking in Maryland area, its bit more "urban" compared to the Damascus area but lots of old farms and state parks plus history.

Dickey gap/VA 16 southbound back to Damascus. 50 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Seesfar View Post
    For my planning, I would be grateful for your helping me understand the difficulty of the trail in the vicinity of Harper’s Ferry and also Damascus.
    I am a bit of an older guy considering a 5 day hike (50 miles) beginning or ending in these (and a couple of other) towns.  If I’m in the wrong thread I apologize.
    Thanks!
    Seesfar
    I can only comment on the vicinity of Harpers Ferry.

If you go southbound 50 miles from Harpers Ferry, that would take you into the northern district of Shenandoah National Park. About 40 would take you to the US522 crossing where you could go into Front Royal. You'll have a climb out of Harpers Ferry but after that it is relatively easy hiking until you reach the "Roller coaster" which is roughly between Virginia's Route 7 and US 50. Most people consider the roller coaster to be on the difficult side. There are numerous ups and downs, but most are relatively short. South of US 50, the hiking is easier and you'll pass through the Sky Meadows area (side trip recommended) and I don't think there's anything remarkable in terms of difficulty between there and Front Royal.

If you go north of Harpers Ferry, you cross the Potomac and join the C&O canal towpath for a few miles before climbing up to the Ridgeline and soon reaching the Garvey Shelter (a very nice one). I've only hiked north of there once and I don't recall much that's notable in terms of difficulty. You could hike a good way into southern PA and possibly get off trail near PenMar. That's relatively near the town of Waynesboro PA with services, although not sure about transportation options there.

Another option might be to hike Shenandoah National Park. Front Royal is easy to get to. You could get a shuttle in Front Royal to take you to the Skyland or Big Meadows area and then hike back to Front Royal. SNP is a great place to hike and not that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I can only comment on the vicinity of Harpers Ferry.

If you go southbound 50 miles from Harpers Ferry, that would take you into the northern district of Shenandoah National Park. About 40 would take you to the US522 crossing where you could go into Front Royal. You'll have a climb out of Harpers Ferry but after that it is relatively easy hiking until you reach the "Roller coaster" which is roughly between Virginia's Route 7 and US 50. Most people consider the roller coaster to be on the difficult side. There are numerous ups and downs, but most are relatively short. South of US 50, the hiking is easier and you'll pass through the Sky Meadows area (side trip recommended) and I don't think there's anything remarkable in terms of difficulty between there and Front Royal.

If you go north of Harpers Ferry, you cross the Potomac and join the C&O canal towpath for a few miles before climbing up to the Ridgeline and soon reaching the Garvey Shelter (a very nice one). I've only hiked north of there once and I don't recall much that's notable in terms of difficulty. You could hike a good way into southern PA and possibly get off trail near PenMar. That's relatively near the town of Waynesboro PA with services, although not sure about transportation options there.

Another option might be to hike Shenandoah National Park. Front Royal is easy to get to. You could get a shuttle in Front Royal to take you to the Skyland or Big Meadows area and then hike back to Front Royal. SNP is a great place to hike and not that difficult.
    Thanks! Any guesses how many miles from Skyland or Big Meadows it is to get back to Front Royal?

Quote Originally Posted by Seesfar View Post
    Thanks! Any guesses how many miles from Skyland or Big Meadows it is to get back to Front Royal?
    According to atdist.com, it is 46.2 miles from the Big Meadows wayside to US 522 taking the AT. From the US 522 crossing, you’d hitchhike to Front Royal. To walk to Front Royal, I’d recommend leaving the AT and using the Dickey Ridge trail which branches off from the AT right after Compton Gap. From that junction it’s about nine miles to US 340 and then you turn right and walk less than a mile to town.

I used the Dickey Ridge trail to end a section in Front Royal and took the AT to 522 when I was continuing north. Both are good options.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Here’s some info on the Dickey Ridge trail option https://www.alltrails.com/explore/tr...bar-static-map

You are awesome

Going south from Damascus is easier then going north. There is a lot of ups and downs going north from Damascus. You also cross a lot of farms.

Going north from Harpers Ferry is easier then going south. Going south you hit the "roller coaster" it's more like 18 miles and with summer heat and humidity, it's really tough. Water is also scarce and far between through out that area.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Going south from Damascus is easier then going north. There is a lot of ups and downs going north from Damascus. You also cross a lot of farms.

Going north from Harpers Ferry is easier then going south. Going south you hit the "roller coaster" it's more like 18 miles and with summer heat and humidity, it's really tough. Water is also scarce and far between through out that area.
    Very good info. Thank you!

++ New Posts ++