WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SAK Classic eyeglasses screwdriver

I wear eyeglasses and occasionally find myself in need of an eyeglass screwdriver. I seldom have one handy, so I decided to make one as an accessory to something I usually have handy, my small Classic Swiss Army pocket knife.

I am aware that an eyeglasses screwdriver is available to fit in the corkscrew of a larger Swiss Army Knife. There are two problems with this. First, I seldom carry a larger SAK. Second, the corkscrew screwdriver is a bit awkward for me to use, at least with my eyeglasses. One has to angle it a bit and this is awkward for tightening the screw.

I realized I seldom, if ever, use the tweezers in my SAK. Since I made a convenient tweezer sheath that holds a much better pair of tweezers, I am even less likely to use the small SAK tweezers. I shopped around and found there is a fire starter flint that is intended as a replacement tool for the tweezer (or toothpick) of the SAK. I ordered the flint, did some filing, and soon had an acceptable screwdriver that conveniently snugs a loose screw on my eyeglasses.

toolss.jpg fronts.jpg sides.jpg

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

looks like it can still make a spark, too - dual purpose!

That's pretty slick. I may get one of those for the flint. Can it replace the tweezers or the toothpick? I find the tweezers rather useless. Although I can live without the toothpick too. I usually use spruce needles or foxtail stems for dental floss. I have an SAK Ambassador. It's the same as the Classic but slightly y. The scissors are easier to use for fat fingered hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Can it replace the tweezers or the toothpick?
    Either one can be replaced.

Neat-O
    I don't wear glasses (yet), but that can always change.

Two things:

1) I think that ferrocerium (the stuff that the striker is made from) will corrode/oxidize, so keep an eye on that

2) Couldn't you use the tweezers as an eyeglass screw screwdriver? the end(s) may (or may not) need a little of that same file treatment, but - wouldn't that work?

willin'

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    2) Couldn't you use the tweezers as an eyeglass screw screwdriver? the end(s) may (or may not) need a little of that same file treatment, but - wouldn't that work?
    I tried that. There were several problems but the big one is the metal isn't stiff enough to effectively turn a snug screw. It remains to be seen how my version works in the long term especially as far as corrosion, but so far so good. And as pointed out, it can still be used to spark so dual purpose.

An accessory designed to warm a firebug's heart!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

++ New Posts ++