WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I'm not against the blazes until they start nailing plastic blazes to trees like CFPA is doing in CT... that is just straight up littering the woods.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Blazes are a man made item in the woods, but they don’t strike me as graffiti. There’s certainly no ego about them.

And while you’re right about there being plenty of other guidance, at the micro, 25-50 foot level nothing works quite as well when there is a weird turn, whether by looking ahead to a blaze or back to one.

I guess if maintaining the blazes took more than 15-20% of trail maintenance dollars or hours I might question that.

Images

White blazes are not graffiti. In my view, they do not detract from the natural trail experience at all. They are a simple, valuable safety feature that helps keep people on the right track. I miss them when traversing wilderness areas, etc. where they are not used or less frequent.

I hate graffiti, but it’s as old as man. Handprints on cave walls, pioneer names on Independence Rock out west, Daniel Boones ‘killed a bar’ carving on a tree, etc..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++