WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Laurie P. Retiring from the ATC......

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep

I just seen this came up on my Google News. I couldn't finish reading the article because I got an emergency call at work.
    But she volunteered for 33 years and I'm sure alot more than we'll ever know about.
    Any of you thru hikers get your pic in front of the ATC wooden sign by Laurie? Anyway thank Laurie P. For everything.
    Now go have some fun!! : ) !!
    Last edited by Alligator; 06-17-2021 at 10:15. Reason: Added the link to her retirement announcement.

If true, I wish her the best. Great source of unbiased information and a great ambassador between ATC and hikers seeking insight into the oversight....Congrats.

Journal Entries
    Images

I emailed them last month Laurie was the one who answered me back...Thats a very big loss for the hikers. I dont think anyone could take her place..if its true
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

Here's a short article on her retirement. https://www.atmuseum.org/news/laurie...-not-the-trail
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

I first saw Laurie when I watched the Nat Geo documentary for the first time back in 2009. That documentary is what spiked my desire to finish the trail. Over the years Laurie has always been there to answer questions and address concerns I have voiced. Congrats to her on a great accomplishment and contributions to the trail
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I read this with a surprising amount of what I can only describe as sadness and grief, feeling as though I personally am losing something! But that is only a testament to Laurie. I've never met her (when I stopped at the ATC in 2017, I was almost celebrity-hunting, hoping to meet her LOL), but her posts & articles have always been solid gold -- always informative (to say the very least) and inspiring. She feels like That Best Friend I've Never Met.

I'm very glad and happy for her retirement, and wish many best things for her to enjoy in her next chapter! Thank you, Laurie!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

It's true, sadly. She told me about it when we bumped into each other May 1. I'll be sad to see her go.

"Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    I read this with a surprising amount of what I can only describe as sadness and grief, feeling as though I personally am losing something! But that is only a testament to Laurie. I've never met her (when I stopped at the ATC in 2017, I was almost celebrity-hunting, hoping to meet her LOL), but her posts & articles have always been solid gold -- always informative (to say the very least) and inspiring. She feels like That Best Friend I've Never Met.
    I'm very glad and happy for her retirement, and wish many best things for her to enjoy in her next chapter! Thank you, Laurie!
    ^^^^^^^^^In complete agreement.^^^^^^^^^^^

The thread title should be changed to "retiring" instead of "resigning". Slight difference in meaning.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The thread title should be changed to "retiring" instead of "resigning". Slight difference in meaning.
    I was thinking about this as an after thought too. I didn't know the difference between the two so Google says " resigning " is leaving work with no retirement plan benefits as opposed to " retiring " is leaving work with a retirement plan in place.
    So since she was volunteering there's no benefits so it should be resigning yes ? Please correct me if I'm wrong maybe she wasn't totally voluntary? I don't know enlighten me.

405 views and only 10 responses huh I thought there would be a little more praise for someone that dedicated 33 years to our cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I can't edit so if one of the mods would be so kind as to change the thread title to "retire " please, no problem with that here.

A paid manager since 1996 and before that a order clerk.
    My bad my correction. And a hell of alot of volunteering.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    I was thinking about this as an after thought too. I didn't know the difference between the two so Google says " resigning " is leaving work with no retirement plan benefits as opposed to " retiring " is leaving work with a retirement plan in place.
    So since she was volunteering there's no benefits so it should be resigning yes ? Please correct me if I'm wrong maybe she wasn't totally voluntary? I don't know enlighten me.
    she was an employee AND a volunteer. Her work at ATC in VA was a paid position. No idea if that comes with retirement benefits.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries
    Images

STill a great lady she and her husband are going to continue being volunteers to Potmac club and maintain their section they been doing for years, How much that says about your character I dont think theres a measurment large enough to describe her contributions to hikers. Iam sure people felt the same way as she described her boss she replaced. But I hope she and her husband have a wonderful retirement.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Best wishes to her as she moves to another chapter in life.

And people can resign, and not claim any retirement until some years later. Like resign at 60 but not claim retirement funds until 65 or 70. There are probably a hundred different ways to exit one job.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Thanks Gaitor for cleaning up another post of mine .

Now let's show Laurie a big Whiteblaze send out.
    Even if you don't like me and my post it's about her.
    PEACE AND LOVE!!

And you noticed I didn't just "dump" this thread into general.
    See I was paying attention.

Images

I never had the good fortune to meet Laurie, but I know I benefitted greatly from her work. When we arrived at the ATC headquarters, we had to snap our own photos. We thought maybe this was just normal, us being section hiker scum But it was always good to know that Laurie and others like her were there in the background, toiling passionately to protect the trail that we love. Thank you for all your efforts Laurie and enjoy your richly deserved retirement. Perhaps someday, if I'm lucky, our paths will still cross somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++