WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Snake Gaiters

Journal Entries

Default Snake Gaiters

Anyone have any experience with snake gaiters? Or recs? Just heard of them and am curious.
    BMT '21
    LT '19
    AT Section Hiking '12 -
    www.brotherswelch.com

I have a good pair of PVC wrap arounds with zip in the back. I wear them on some of the trails in SE Texas and on hunting property where grass is high. We have to deal with the 4 venomous here-copperhead, cotton mouth, rattler and coral (east).

The gaiters are cumbersome and heavy. I would never consider them for a long distance hike. Also, I didn't ever encounter a portion of the AT where I wanted them.

They work great for weed-eating the yard too.

I use snake guards all the time for moving through off road utility easements and can say they work well for the designed purpose. I use the strap-on type that come up just below the knee in front and dip down in the back to allow full movement of the lower leg. They aren't heavy, but not light either, can be a little fussy putting them on at first but get easier. I'm not sure I would use them for hiking unless snakes were a serious risk, but using them in brushy areas in the southwest and southeast provides both a physical barrier to venomous snakes and some peace of mind. These snakes exist through New Hampshire, though I have only run across a few over time and was fortunate to have seen/heard them first. In the southwest and southeast I have stepped on unseen snakes that did not announce themselves when bushwhacking and was glad I had them on.
    Snake guards.jpg

I'd consider Turtleskin. I believe they're the lightest weight of any other, are flexible, and feel just like an ordinary gaiter. I've had them for several years and also have their snake chaps. I use the chps when bushwhacking in known snake territory.

https://turtleskin.com/default/outdo...rotection.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8deDaxg17S4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQVM9Dq4vVA

Journal Entries

Thanks all, appreciate all the insight!
    BMT '21
    LT '19
    AT Section Hiking '12 -
    www.brotherswelch.com

++ New Posts ++