WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fastest Known Times

I'm surprised that, until today, this website has never popped up looking for times. The dude seems knowledgeable and the times pretty much up-to-date.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/index.cgi#regions

Images

Sly, did you see my note that, according to Warren, the record Snorkle broke was Jenny Jardine's?

Images

Is the AT there, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Is the AT there, or am I missing something?
    Yeah, it's under mid-Atlantic for some reason and includes Jenny's hike and mention of Warren. I thought I read somewhere Jenny's hike was 93 days, that why I couldn't figure out who did it in 87.

Ward leonard holds the mens unsupported at 60.5 days. This is over 20 years old maybe the next to go. What happened to the isreali hikers attempt?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

This link has been mentioned a few times before. Having said that, I just made the post a sticky for future reference.

Peter Bawkin out of Boulder runs the site. Very accomplished ultra-runner (to out it mildly)
    Last edited by Mags; 07-11-2011 at 13:22.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by k2basecamp View Post
    What happened to the isreali hikers attempt?
    In 2010 Carlos Goldberg from Israel finished in 65 days. That was a great attempt especially for someone who had never hiked the AT.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i know of at least one record on that site that isnt captured but i think the record holder wants to keep it that way
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Am I correct that the neither the ATC or any other official trail organization recognize any record attempts of the Appalachian Trail ?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    i know of at least one record on that site that isnt captured but i think the record holder wants to keep it that way
    Hmmmm. I guess its a secret.

Winged Monkey: Yes, you are correct.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Am I correct that the neither the ATC or any other official trail organization recognize any record attempts of the Appalachian Trail ?
    The ATC does not...Other trail orgs may or may not depending.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Yeah, it's under mid-Atlantic for some reason and includes Jenny's hike and mention of Warren. I thought I read somewhere Jenny's hike was 93 days, that why I couldn't figure out who did it in 87.
    thanks... I think she must have done one at 93 days and one at 87 days....

Very helpful and interesting sticky note--thanks.
    I want to propose clarity on an upcoming matter. This is not a correction of anyone in particular; it's more in anticipation of what will be said at the end of Jennifer Pharr Davis's hike. If she does achieve the fastest AT completion, then we can say, "JPD has the fastest AT completion time" or "JPD has the unsupported AT record." We will also still be able to say, "JPD has the women's unsupported AT record." But we will not be able to say, "JPD has the women's and the men's record." She is a woman, and therefore any record she holds is a woman's record. We could, of course, say, "JPD has the women's record, which is faster than the men's," or more simply, "JPD has the overall record." I'm pointing out, and tryint to dispel, the assumption that a men's record is always better than a women's. This is so ingrained in us that we sometimes speak of a woman setting a man's record without noticing the absurdity of that. If, for example, a man were currently attempting an AT unsupported record, and he finished today (July 13) with a time faster than any woman has done it, but not faster than any man, we wouldn't think of saying that he holds the women's record. Why? Because he's not a woman.

Point made but Elizabeth Thomas just set the women's unsupported record so it's a little bit of a put down to say that "JPD holds the women's unsupported record" Any point you are trying to make involves the SUPPORTED fastest known time.
    Last edited by k2basecamp; 07-14-2011 at 07:34.

No put down intended to either of these amazing women. Simply bad typing/thinking on my part. Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    In 2010 Carlos Goldberg from Israel finished in 65 days. That was a great attempt especially for someone who had never hiked the AT.
    i'd like to see his itinerary. i followed him the best i could, and kept a record. i thought he was on a 75 day or so attempt and was surprised he made it in 65. is he the one that stole someones hat in the carter notch hut, and was run down by someone to get his friends hat back. some where around vermont or a little farther his journaling slowed down or stopped and his mileage picked up big time thru the whites and maine. hope im wrong, someone correct me please if so.

Quote Originally Posted by BabySue View Post
    ...I'm pointing out, and tryint to dispel, the assumption that a men's record is always better than a women's. This is so ingrained in us that we sometimes speak of a woman setting a man's record without noticing the absurdity of that.
    Well look at the various running/speedwalking records; the men's time is always faster. Now if you take a few women and men (top women and non-top men) you're going to have some wins (records set) by women.

I can't think why speed hiking would be any different. What is different here is that this sport doesn't really attract many participants. I'm willing there are many other differences, but I'm not someone that can speak too intelligently on this subject, but with respect of male vs. females just look at the overwhelming data out there.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Well look at the various running/speedwalking records; the men's time is always faster. Now if you take a few women and men (top women and non-top men) you're going to have some wins (records set) by women.

I can't think why speed hiking would be any different. What is different here is that this sport doesn't really attract many participants. I'm willing there are many other differences, but I'm not someone that can speak too intelligently on this subject, but with respect of male vs. females just look at the overwhelming data out there.
    i live in virginia and saw on the local news earlier this year that some girl locally hikedit in 39 days. it didnt say if she was assisted or not but it seems to me she would have to be

Images

Quote Originally Posted by matador View Post
    i live in virginia and saw on the local news earlier this year that some girl locally hikedit in 39 days. it didnt say if she was assisted or not but it seems to me she would have to be
    Not sure what trail they were talking about but I'm sure it wasn't the AT. To do the AT in 39 days, you would have to average 55 miles a day. Just not possible.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++