WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journal Entries

Default Hiking NEW JERSEY NEXT

My next section: NJ. DWG to Greenwood/Warwick, NY .It doesnt matter NOBO/SOBO. It will be public transportation from Chesapeake VA. I know a bus runs back here from Stroudsburg PA. But have no idea where another take out or take in would possibly be. Map shows an Interstate nearby Harriman or Bear Mtn, NY. No problem with NY miles, if it works. Pls share ideas on that and Shuttlers.

Thanks,
    CAKE

Images

I hiked DWG to I-87/Harriman last fall. ​I used Carl (845-820-1331) for a shuttle and was happy with his service.

Those first 18 NY miles were pretty tough, though. Lots of steep trail and rock scrambling. If you don't wan't to hike that far, you can get off trail at NY17A or even take the State Line Trail right at the NY/NJ border.

The first 40 miles of NJ is a lot like eastern PA - lots of rocks.
    It's all good in the woods.

Hiked DWG to Hudson River with my sons last week. I just got to 0.3 miles from the NJ-NY state line and stopped due to rocks there and being alone. son and friend hiked whole thing. I found the ridge walk north to the H

High Point State Park a mix of good path and rocks. The "path" along Sunfish Pond was rocks. From about High Point Shelter to 0.3 mi. of the north state line (NY) was really nice. We used several parking spots. It was a good hike. Lots of board walks.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

You have the southern end of your hike covered as far as available public transit goes. Several ways you can use public transit at the northern end of your hike, all depending on where you want to stop (or start, as the case may be.) All of them require you to get to NYC, so there your best bet is Amtrak from Virginia Beach (well, Norfolk, anyway) to NY Penn Station. After that, the closest public transit access to the NY/NJ state line is the NJ Transit bus, Rt. 196, that runs out from NYC's Port Authority Bus Terminal along NY17a. You can request a flag stop at Kain Rd. between the Greenwood Lake and Warwick Park and Ride stations. That will let you off just across the NY17a from the SOBO trailhead to the AT (at the Bellvale Farms Creamery.) You can drop in farther north at NY17 by taking the Metro-North Railroad Port Jervis train from Grand Central to Harriman station, which is about 2 miles north along NY17 from where the AT crosses at Arden Valley Rd., Or of course, you can get on just north of Bear Mt. at Bear Mt. State Park, using the Short Line bus to Bear Mt. Inn that you can also catch at the Port Authority in NYC.

Hope all this helps. I've used all these to get to and from the trail in NY, so they can definitely be done. It's actually kind of fun to go this way rather than taking shuttles.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

There are commuter buses from Greenwood Lake and Warwick with NJ transit week days only I believe but do your research for schedule.

Another option is shuttle from route 17A (Bellvale Creamery) to Port Jervis with Mosey from Mosey's Place hostel and from there you have daily trains to NYC.

Just did half of a 2 week section NOB from AMC MOC; had to cut it short when I sprained an ankle slipping in a NY slab.
    Be extra careful up there, Lynette!

Journal Entries

that's where im going to start off next spring.... got off there in 2015. Going to be headed north.
    eveready

++ New Posts ++