WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Looking

Journal Entries

Default Looking

Hey folks, im 62 years old, im a decent hiker, slow but not out.Ive made it as far as springer to leighs gap.Im looking for a hiking partner/buddy. What is the way to go about looking for a person to hike with. thanks Eveready
    eveready

FWIW - Some of the best, long term hiking pal relationships I have been witness to started organically between people who "discovered" each other on a trail and started with a conversation. Walking a few miles with someone can quickly determine if there its a relationship potential through conversation, hiking style/speeds, and temperament. I have seen hiking relationships have a significant age spread between two or three people as well has having only a few months age spread. I have seen hiking buddies be different genders, from different economic strata, and polar opposites in opinions regarding most everything except trail hiking.

I have not been privy to relationships that started with an ad or posting on Facebook, though I'm sure they exist, it does seem people tend to find each other just being out enjoying the activity. Keep your eyes and ears open for interesting people who appear to be moving along at about the same rate of speed or similarly geared up and start a conversation or two. I think you will find a lot of opportunities on local trails that are likely to have more people from the local area than higher profile trails having views that attract people from all over the place.

Good luck!

Journal Entries

thank you and i agree, when i started at springer thats where i met folks with my type distance and style.....wish i didnt have to began at lees gap!
    eveready

Well, starting again is part of the adventure.

Trying to find a partner before hand who wants to do the same section at the same time as you do seems like too much trouble, given the low chance of success. Easier to meet people who are already there when you are. Of course, time of year will influence how many others you might meet in a given area.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

try posting on the meet up forum.

Journal Entries
    Images

meetup is how alot of clubs orginize hikes with club members..Try it for a backpacking buddy. If I was closer Id hike with you.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

For those of us geographically-challenged; where is Leighs Gap ???

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    Hey folks, im 62 years old, im a decent hiker, slow but not out.Ive made it as far as springer to leighs gap.Im looking for a hiking partner/buddy. What is the way to go about looking for a person to hike with. thanks Eveready
    sent you a pm

Journal Entries

Leighs gap is about 30 miles from the delawere water gap and the new jersey border.
    eveready

++ New Posts ++