WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Guided or group hikes up Katahdin?

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted here, but I wanted to pick y'all's brains again as I got so much great info when I section hiked in GA and NC a few years back.

I'm looking to hike up Katahdin in mid-July but do not have a hiking buddy. Does anyone know of folks who do guided hikes to the summit? Or maybe a group hike I could tag along with? I've been wanting to summit Katahdin for years (haven't we all?) and will be in the area in July but am hesitant to attempt it solo. I'm an experienced hiker, but I'm not afraid to say it intimidates me!

Thanks!

It's possible, but not likely that there are guided hikes are available. The park is highly regulated and just getting in is a challenge. Doing it spur of the moment as your in the area is the most difficult option. it needs to be well planned in advance.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's possible, but not likely that there are guided hikes are available. The park is highly regulated and just getting in is a challenge. Doing it spur of the moment as your in the area is the most difficult option. it needs to be well planned in advance.
    Does the Maine trial club do group hikes lo go in I know the RTC does and use meetup.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

There are several registered Maine Guides in the area that will take you up for a fee.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yes, I've been before and have no intention of just showing up. Since I'm out of state I can't yet reserve a parking pass, and this is why I'm planning two months ahead of time. The park is indeed notorious for that! Although I am glad since it keeps the area wild and beautiful.

Its pretty rare not to a spot to climb the moutain during the week. Do not worry about being lonely on the trails headed up Katahdin. There are always plenty of folks on the trail. Once you have your day use pass, line up at the gate early and get going early. The weather is best in the morning, afternoon clouds build up many afternoons.

Ideally get the day use pass prior to heading to the gate in advance, if you need to take your chances at the gate, you have to wait until 7 AM to see if there are any no shows unless they have some unreserved ones. Worse case if the day use passes are filled up, head up to Nesowadnehunk campground and do the out and back up Doublehead Mountain. Nothing like it on the rest of the AT and cant beat the view since its sits a bit back from Katahdin.

As Peakbagger suggests, there will likely be a number of people, both alone and in small groups, that will be hiking to the summit on any day you are able to. Making small conversation with small groups or individuals can quickly find people you would like who are agreeable to adding another to their group. I have met some interesting people this way and still communicate with several of them through the years as well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zeldaminor View Post
    Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted here, but I wanted to pick y'all's brains again as I got so much great info when I section hiked in GA and NC a few years back.

I'm looking to hike up Katahdin in mid-July but do not have a hiking buddy. Does anyone know of folks who do guided hikes to the summit? Or maybe a group hike I could tag along with? I've been wanting to summit Katahdin for years (haven't we all?) and will be in the area in July but am hesitant to attempt it solo. I'm an experienced hiker, but I'm not afraid to say it intimidates me!

Thanks!
    You might try contacting NEOC (New England Outdoor Center). One of their locations is located outside of Millinocket, and on the road to Baxter State Park. I don't know much about their guided hiking trips, but they are a solid group to use on rafting trips. https://www.neoc.com/hiking/

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Its pretty rare not to a spot to climb the moutain during the week. Do not worry about being lonely on the trails headed up Katahdin. There are always plenty of folks on the trail. Once you have your day use pass, line up at the gate early and get going early. The weather is best in the morning, afternoon clouds build up many afternoons.

Ideally get the day use pass prior to heading to the gate in advance, if you need to take your chances at the gate, you have to wait until 7 AM to see if there are any no shows unless they have some unreserved ones. Worse case if the day use passes are filled up, head up to Nesowadnehunk campground and do the out and back up Doublehead Mountain. Nothing like it on the rest of the AT and cant beat the view since its sits a bit back from Katahdin.
    Thank you for this information! That's comforting to know. A lot of the trails I go on are pretty desolate for miles, so I wasn't sure what the situation was like up there. I definitely plan on getting to the gate at 6 to make an early start of it. And thanks for the alternate trail suggestion! I had not heard of this one before and it looks really cool. This might even be a better option!

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    As Peakbagger suggests, there will likely be a number of people, both alone and in small groups, that will be hiking to the summit on any day you are able to. Making small conversation with small groups or individuals can quickly find people you would like who are agreeable to adding another to their group. I have met some interesting people this way and still communicate with several of them through the years as well.
    This is something I hope to do! I've done this once before and had a delightful afternoon hike with a stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    You might try contacting NEOC (New England Outdoor Center). One of their locations is located outside of Millinocket, and on the road to Baxter State Park. I don't know much about their guided hiking trips, but they are a solid group to use on rafting trips. https://www.neoc.com/hiking/
    Thank you for the link! I hadn't heard of this organization before but the site looks great. I'll give them a call!

NEOC is a business in the area that caters white water rafters and higher end tourist. My suggestion is give the AT Lodge a call https://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/. They make their living catering to AT thru and section hikers.

Images

make it a shared plan maybe someone here will go

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++