WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recommendations for stealth routes in NC? Welcome the "newbie!"

Okay, first post! Really really quick bio: Recently moved to Raleigh area. Former section hiker, White Mountains. (Favorite past pastime: Yogi the heck out of AMC Hut "croo" !! They happily have plenty of food and I don't mind not paying for it...). Also, in the '90s, I ran a backpacking school for teens. I don't know everything but I am comfortable far, far away from civilization.

I'd love to find some stealth areas in NC - "trails less travelled by" if at all possible. It's not that I don't love people... you know what I mean

This also would mean summits >3k feet, above treeline (if possible), and no roads, no antennas. The first time (years ago) I backpacked over Mt. Washington in NH and saw the tourists in cotton tees licking ice-cream cones I nearly freaked out! I'd like to avoid that if possible...

Other trivia about me: I'm a bit of a UL freak. I maintain an exact spreadsheet weighing to the fraction of an ounce - I'm an original "Ray-way" convert! Some gear is new, some not so new, like my down bag is like 20 years old. No holes, but doesn't smell like it used to if you know what I mean. I've been using a sil-tarp but may go with the enclosed shelter like Gossamer has. Would be nice to know about water too. In VT / NH, I haven't been treating or filtering mountain water for over 20 years. No issues but I know everybody isn't comfortable with this. But I don't drink lowland water, pond water, etc..

Okay, nice to be in here and nice to be in NC for a change!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Welcome Zadok...
    "Above Treeline"... You do realize this is the south where "treeline" is something like 8,000', yet the highest point east of the Mississippi is Mt Mitchell (in NC) at an elevation of 6,684'.
    There are a few "balds" grassy mountain tops with no trees. That's what you might want to google "balds in North Carolina". I know there's a few along the AT such as the TOO popular Max Patch.
    Otherwise, I'm personally not very familiar with many hiking trails in NC other than my most common hiking area, Great Smoky Mountains National Park. And while GSMNP has a few balds, they only allow camping at designated campsites, no stealth camping allow.

Middle Prong Wilderness.
    South Fork Mills River / Bradley Creek.
    These are 5 hours or so from Raleigh. An hour closer would be Linville Gorge, where you can easily get lost; and it will soon be very warm in there.

Thanks! Yeah I looked at Linville Gorge. Map looked confusing. Looked like a maybe 2-3 day loop (counter clockwise), but then not. I've done horrible trails before, not that much fun though, and I've done bushwhacking / land nav only with map and compass with very good results. I just need a very good map. Yeah I'm aware of the heat so I may defer to October - November. I'd hike somewhere to a waterfall... I once new this guy from the Smokies - years ago - and he talked about stuff like that. I've backpacked in 90 deg heat. Horrible - where your core temp rises risking heat stroke. I also run and try to avoid excess heat like in summer, it's pre-dawn runs... Tnx!

In other direction, Masonboro Island. No structures, no bridge. No fresh water, bring your own. My grandad helped preserve it.

Thanks! Yeah I looked at Linville Gorge. Map looked confusing. Looked like a maybe 2-3 day loop (counter clockwise), but then not. I've done horrible trails before, not that much fun though, and I've done bushwhacking / land nav only with map and compass with very good results. I just need a very good map. Yeah I'm aware of the heat so I may defer to October - November. I'd hike somewhere to a waterfall... I once new this guy from the Smokies - years ago - and he talked about stuff like that. I've backpacked in 90 deg heat. Horrible - where your core temp rises risking heat stroke. I also run and try to avoid excess heat like in summer, it's pre-dawn runs... Tnx!

Journal Entries

I don't know that these fit all your criteria, but they're worth a look:
    Grandfather Mountain (hike in from the Profile Trail or from the east - I forget the name of that trail), and especially camp out at Attic Window.
    Graybeard Mtn, Mt Mitchell, and others in the area.
    Lost Cove near Burnsville NC. It's the remains of a settlement that was abandoned in the 1950s. We hiked there last weekend.
    Slickrock/Cohutta area (south of the Smokies)
    Cataloochee area of the Smokies

This is a very beautiful area and seldom hiked...you may have to do some bushwacking:
    https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/n...mountain-trail
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Okay, I've spent a lot of time looking at Linville Gorge area. ---> https://www.alltrails.com/explore/ma...-trail-7297f44

Looks great! Crazy rugged but I've done some crazy stuff before; makes a nice adventure. My game is to be informed. I have one nagging question: Anybody know what the CAMBRIC / shortcut trail is like? I've read some posts. I also call the FS who gave me some random info like, "we don't maintain the other side (gorge side) but some people from Backpacker Magazine do. Backpacker? I subscribed back in the '90s very entertaining. Informative then, not sure today Also, ideas for best maps would be nice. Looks like there is water high up, but sketchy on the AllTrails map. Everybody has run into this issue - sketchy water, depending on rainfall, etc. On the 8 miles or so 3k feet, I'll bring water for that, assuming there is none. Again, I don't know everything, so advice is welcome!!

Join the LinvilleGorge.Net forum. They have all your answers. And be sure to get your map from LGMAPS.COM. Good to have printed and Avenza version on your phone.

https://deq.nc.gov/about/divisions/c...island-reserve

Summer can be hot and sand flies/no seeums. Winter the moist wind off the ocean can get in your bones. Spring and fall best. Pretty good stars on a clear night. Sleeping in a tent with real ocean white noise is great.

No elevation, but if you want a workout just hike in the soft part of the sand.

About a 2 hour drive from Raleigh. Can’t help on getting over there across the water, we had boats when I was a kid. But sounds like there are services. Bring gallons of water, but you can cache them not far from where you get dropped.

++ New Posts ++