WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ready to give it an honest try

I have reached the point that I am willing to give hammock camping a honest test. I sleep well in the house, but my attempts outside have only been done on hot summer days. I do not like to be cold when I sleep and am in search of a under quilt that allows me to use the insect netting that zips along the side hammock. Living in the beautiful northeast I need something that will work comfortably down to 0C/32F. Don’t want to break the bank for a test but don’t want to instantly need to upgrade. Any recommendations?

Take a look at the Hammock Gear line of Econ quilts. They use a slightly less desirable down which is why they are cheaper than their standard models. All my bottom quilts and many of my top quilts came from this line. I have no complaints and haven't felt any need to upgrade them.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Even the economy quilt is a substantial investment for a trial run... have you tried using a pad in the hammock? I used a Thermarest Prolite self-inflating pad, among others, for years before investing in an UQ. The UQ is definitely a step up, but a pad works just fine - and you probably already have one. One of Shug's videos talks about using pads, check it out.

I use a 3/4 length foam pad in my Hennessy. Quite comfy down to about 40F. I have been out in it in lower temps with snow and it was a bit chilly but doable. I have never looked back after getting into a hammock. Love the comfort and versatility of being able to camp anywhere. Easy setup and breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by doodles View Post
    I use a 3/4 length foam pad in my Hennessy. Quite comfy down to about 40F. I have been out in it in lower temps with snow and it was a bit chilly but doable. I have never looked back after getting into a hammock. Love the comfort and versatility of being able to camp anywhere. Easy setup and breakdown.
    Just make sure the tree your using can support you. A guy got killed hammocking in the Whites a few days ago when the tree he was hung from fell over and crushed him!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I used a closed cell foam pad (full length) in my hammock, along with a 20* or 0* sleeping bag, depending on weather predictions. I was NEVER cold, except for an occasional knee, as I'm a side sleeper and my knees press up against the hammock.

My prob was getting out dry and warm in the morning if it was raining, blowing, sleeting, snowing or any combo thereof.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rdljr View Post
    I have reached the point that I am willing to give hammock camping a honest test. I sleep well in the house, but my attempts outside have only been done on hot summer days. I do not like to be cold when I sleep and am in search of a under quilt that allows me to use the insect netting that zips along the side hammock. Living in the beautiful northeast I need something that will work comfortably down to 0C/32F. Don’t want to break the bank for a test but don’t want to instantly need to upgrade. Any recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    I used a closed cell foam pad (full length) in my hammock, along with a 20* or 0* sleeping bag, depending on weather predictions. I was NEVER cold, except for an occasional knee, as I'm a side sleeper and my knees press up against the hammock.

My prob was getting out dry and warm in the morning if it was raining, blowing, sleeting, snowing or any combo thereof.
    Using a pad is a great way to start without the expense, and learning curve of an UQ. There are options which negate the learning curve, such as the Warbonnet Wookie, and the Superior Gear insulated hammock, both of which are not cheap. Both of these would not affect the net, or the net affect the insulation. A pad, of course, was meant to lie on flat ground, so its not ideal in terms of comfort and potentially the r-rating would be adversely affected. I used a pad for the first few years and hammocked and it works fine, if not the same ease of use and downy warmth as an UQ.

Not sure what the problem was getting out dry and warm. Sounds like a tarp issue.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

++ New Posts ++