WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Images

Putting aside all the commentary regarding fees, taxes, land acquisition, who should be where, and what should be fair and, and, even, polyp roping . . .

The shooting occurred at approximately 12:30 pm on Saturday May 8. Hunting was only allowed from 1/2 hour before sunrise until 1:00 PM, and this was the next to last day, Sunday May 9, that spring turkey season would be open anywhere in the state. I used to hunt frequently. Deer, waterfowl, small game, and yeah, even turkey. It sucks to hunt for days and not get anything, but that's often the reality. There's an urge to bag game. It's the prime reason as to why we're out there hunting. If it wasn't, we'd just be hiking around with a camera looking at wildlife. Yes, a bad day hunting is like a bad day fishing - it still beats work - but the point ultimately is to catch the fish or bag the game. We took time off work, spent lots of money and time to do this, and we want something in return. Unfortunately, every year we read about undisciplined, inconsiderate (insert idiot if you wish) hunters who shoot dogs, cows, horses, and even humans -- often any moving unidentified blob -- in their, "I'm hunting so I have to shoot something" mindset. If you don't believe me, go to a popular hunting area on a season's opening day and time and watch the craziness. Several times I've turned around and left places before ever entering the woods because there were too many hyped up hunters just waiting to get out there and shoot . . . something. "But, I thought he was a [insert species in season]." It's pure BS. The truth is they didn't know what they were shooting at. They just wanted to shoot . . . something. But it isn't a hunting accident. A hunting accident is an accidental firearm discharge, a ricochet, an unintended animal or human hit with a missed shot that was honestly unseen behind a legitimate target, etc. "I thought he was a deer" -- or a turkey in this case -- is 100% about being in a mindset to shoot . . . something (remember, season's ending, time is running out!) and not identifying the target before pulling the trigger. Sorry, but all the rest is, to me, irrelevant conversation. There's NEVER, EVER, an excuse for not positively identifying the target before pulling the trigger. [Drop mic]
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Well Said Mr Buzzard! One point I would like to make is that a Real hunter makes a clean killing shot so the game animal does not have to suffer unnecessarily. The only way one can do that is to have a clear and doable shot at the game.That's why there should be no excuses for target identification mistakes and there should be some jail time involved for those who just shoot at sound or motion with high hopes that they will come out of that action as the mighty hunter and not someone guilty of manslaughter.That's why I always have some orange on my person whilst in the woods regardless of the season.

I always wear blaze orange whenever I hike during hunting seasons. If not a full vest,at least an orange cap

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    [I]"[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]OK you think its out of line. Then tell me exactly what all every hiker hiking the AT does for conservation?
    What matters is that they are outdoorsy and care for the environment and the world. Actual action is no longer required by virtue signaling hikers. Just being concerned is enough

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AsoloBootsSuk View Post
    What matters is that they are outdoorsy and care for the environment and the world. Actual action is no longer required by virtue signaling hikers. Just being concerned is enough
    One hiker and mother of thru hiker(s) spent millions of her own money to forever preserve land up in Maine, but was reviled by many local sportsman/hunters for doing so.

Which is to say every person is different, and perspectives can vary widely. All one can do is look in the mirror — and perhaps ask whether or not they should leave everything their children?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    One hiker and mother of thru hiker(s) spent millions of her own money to forever preserve land up in Maine, but was reviled by many local sportsman/hunters for doing so.

Which is to say every person is different, and perspectives can vary widely. All one can do is look in the mirror — and perhaps ask whether or not they should leave everything their children?
    I am not familiar with that story. Did she ban hunters?

Originally Posted by Traveler
    [COLOR=#333333][I]"[FONT=Verdana]OK you think its out of line. Then tell me exactly what all every hiker hiking the AT does for conservation?

Quote Originally Posted by AsoloBootsSuk View Post
    Agreed with your post, however your quote attribution is incorrect. The comment you cite and responded to was from Hobbs (post #60), which I responded to in a later post.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Originally Posted by Traveler
    [COLOR=#333333][I]"[FONT=Verdana]OK you think its out of line. Then tell me exactly what all every hiker hiking the AT does for conservation?

Agreed with your post, however your quote attribution is incorrect. The comment you cite and responded to was from Hobbs (post #60), which I responded to in a later post.
    Sorry, I see know there are some screwy characters in the start of that quote. My fault

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    Why do conservation areas allow hikers during hunting season. It is an accident waiting to happen. No surprise from me.
    Umm because if you can not identify what you are shooting then you should not have a gun to begin with? That being said, why do hikers hike in areas where there is active hunting? Even though most hunters are responsible and careful I've know my share who think its fun time away from the wife to head out to the tree stand with their guns and some beer..

I have no place to hike other than 'hunting areas'. Hunting seasons last several months and begins as soon as the weather cools down enough to enjoy hiking. My trails are in national forests. Hunters are supposed to stay 500 ft from the trail, but don't always. I wear lots of orange and greet them with a loud "Hello" as soon as I see or hear them. They have always been very friendly and helpful to me. We coexist just fine, but I am always on alert.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++