WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hobbs

The trail exists in decent shape because enough people DO volunteer and donate to maintain it. Arguably that reflects better on hikers than hunters, who as you point out contribute via fees and taxes.

The contribution is irrelevant anyway. You shoot at a noise or what you think is a prey animal that turns out to be a human, you’re status as good is over. Would you feel differently if the guy had shot another noble hunter? Should we not allow hunters on hunting land so they don’t shoot each other, as one can also read about with dismal frequency?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Hobbs

The trail exists in decent shape because enough people DO volunteer and donate to maintain it. Arguably that reflects better on hikers than hunters, who as you point out contribute via fees and taxes.

The contribution is irrelevant anyway. You shoot at a noise or what you think is a prey animal that turns out to be a human, you’re status as good is over. Would you feel differently if the guy had shot another noble hunter? Should we not allow hunters on hunting land so they don’t shoot each other, as one can also read about with dismal frequency?
    Yeah I read that analysis was intereting.But this could be argued two different ways and add responcibility to it..So what would you say about hikers that harm other hikers? Hikers that do folllow LN? Hikers that treat trail angels and maintaners like errend boys? Man i can add to my list if you like and lets include how many per year are on trail and contribute to anything positive?
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Hunters contribute $1.6 Billion with a B annually to land conservation. This goes to buy land for wild life habitat.

If I want to hunt deer, elk, and pronghorn in Colorado, for instance, my permits would run over $1500.

My yearly fees in my state are often $500.

"OK you think its out of line. Then tell me exactly what all every hiker hiking the AT dioes for conservation? Also tell me based on number of trail clubs and how many members in a trail club its an issue to get more members. I ll tell you what most people do they make a one time donation to the ATC and its all good in their thinking. The only other org that does trail maintenance witht heir members is ALDHA besides the trail clubs.So which do you belong to?"

I do not know "most people" so I have no clue what "most people" do relative to donating time, money, or materials to the ATC. I am not sure what data is being used regarding "most people" making a one time donation to the AMC, I suspect it resides alongside the notion that hunters are rarely sober, both being unfortunate uninformed opinions that surround these activities.

Touting hunters as the only people who should be allowed in the woods during a particular time of year as they are the only ones who really support forests is north of specious. There are many groups in the US that focus on land use, trail management, and conservation issues. For example, the Connecticut Forest and Parks Association (CFPA) predates the ATC having been founded in 1895. Their membership is robust and includes a deep cross section of skill sets to field training efforts for a broad variety of training for volunteer labor for trail maintenance needs, in easements and managing property owner issues, and providing a credible voice to the legislature in support of conservation of woodlands and waterways. There are many different ways people contribute to conservation issues, hunters being one of several.
    Last edited by Traveler; 05-16-2021 at 08:19.

Pittman-Robertson Act imposed 11% tax on all hunting supplies to fund conservation of land. How about a similar act for hikers, x country skiers, ultra runners, mountain bikers, etc. None of these groups do anything to fund the conservation of land, all the arguments to the contrary are specious at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    Pittman-Robertson Act imposed 11% tax on all hunting supplies to fund conservation of land. How about a similar act for hikers, x country skiers, ultra runners, mountain bikers, etc. None of these groups do anything to fund the conservation of land, all the arguments to the contrary are specious at best.
    Really? "None of these groups do anything"?

What madness is that??

Images

Why would a hunter come on a hiking site to talk bad about hikers? Troll?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

This thread is drifting in an interesting direction away from the horrible and irresponsible mistake of a hunter to the banning of hikers on huntable land during hunting season to what group(s) pays more money to preserver more of what land.

Interestingly, none of the hikers in this thread have suggested hunters should be banned from anything other than shooting hikers. While the hunters (at least a couple) keep suggesting that hikers should be banned from legal hunting lands. Way to turn sympathetic supporters away from you hunters!

So, let me get this right . . . Hunters make up ~5% of American adults while hikers make up about 50% of American adults. I would suggest that if hunters want to maintain access to hunting on public lands, they better darn well figure out how to not alienate the non-hunting public. AND, blaming victims for getting shot by hunters, suggesting hikers shouldn't be hiking on public lands during hunting season, is NOT a very effective way to achieve that.

And, for what it's worth, yes, hunters are forced through hunting licenses and fees to disproportionately support government funded wildlife management, frankly, leading to hunter bias government wildlife management. BUT, that forced support is just a drop in the bucket compared to the many times greater contribution to land (not just wildlife) conservation made by the non-hunting public made largely through non-profit organizations.

I fully support hunting on public lands so as long as hunters take full responsibility for their actions and impact.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Public lands are going to continue to be open to the public, hunters and hikers alike. Both hunters and hikers alike just need to practice a little common sense.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    Some have suggested that the vast majority of funds generated from the Pittman-Robertson Act come from non-hunters.

Journal Entries
    Images

Further, some have suggested that the vast majority of contributions made to conservation organizations and land trusts (with a few exceptions, like Ducks Unlimited) have been made by non hunters.

Images

What alternate reality do some of you live in? Exactly how does whether or not hunters finance certain public lands more than hikers do, have anything, ANYTHING to do with making it somehow excusable to shoot people? /smh
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    What alternate reality do some of you live in? Exactly how does whether or not hunters finance certain public lands more than hikers do, have anything, ANYTHING to do with making it somehow excusable to shoot people? /smh
    Uh, yep, this.

"I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Couldn't agree more.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Agreed. Just a bizarre attempt at changing the subject.

Ditto.

However, FWIW, I would support a similar tax on other outdoor gear. Or just a straight up usage fee.

And I don’t think Hobbs is trolling us, I’ve seen plenty of posts from him in other threads. This one must just hit a sore spot. Still totally disagree that hunting usage fees and taxes excuse shooting people.

Maybe hikers should sing a little song in hunting season

“I’m not a turkey, I’m not a deer
    So please don’t go shooting round about here”

Images

Couple of things... first, I think it’s a stretch the other way to suggest that the hunters here were suggesting it’s ok to shoot hikers. Second, hikers shouldn’t have to do squat to not get shot.

- Kate Chopin

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Hobbs

No Iam not trolling you...If I was you would see foul laungage. I am a hiker so that pweson is far off on assumptions. Also How many idiots on the trail this year dont follow LNT? SO like i said whats the ratio of hikers to trail clubs and actually giving back? NOT very big. Whats the age of most trail club members? Yeah you want to see how great this years AT cless is on trail with regards to LNT just go on FB in the AT groups see the tagging and crap..OH but its ok hike your own hike..Tyhis isnt trolling And no its not ok a hunter shot someone. BUT that hunter had more right to be there than a hiker. BUY the way RICK when you use a paper thats supporting Information from groups that are BIas its not a reliable source..Maybe ask a professor sometime.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    No Iam not trolling you...If I was you would see foul laungage. I am a hiker so that pweson is far off on assumptions. Also How many idiots on the trail this year dont follow LNT? SO like i said whats the ratio of hikers to trail clubs and actually giving back? NOT very big. Whats the age of most trail club members? Yeah you want to see how great this years AT cless is on trail with regards to LNT just go on FB in the AT groups see the tagging and crap..OH but its ok hike your own hike..Tyhis isnt trolling And no its not ok a hunter shot someone. BUT that hunter had more right to be there than a hiker. BUY the way RICK when you use a paper thats supporting Information from groups that are BIas its not a reliable source..Maybe ask a professor sometime.
    No one EVER has more right to use public land than anyone else, no group over any other group. This is my basic gripe with what you are saying. I think it’s a fine argument to say how much hunters and hunting orgs put into land conservation, etc., but only as an argument for how to best manage use for all groups. I believe there are reasons for why hunters pay and do more that you are all too conveniently leaving out, along with reasons for allowing hikers to hike that most agree with. And no, not going to detail those and try to convince you.

- Kate Chopin

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    No one EVER has more right to use public land than anyone else, no group over any other group. This is my basic gripe with what you are saying. I think it’s a fine argument to say how much hunters and hunting orgs put into land conservation, etc., but only as an argument for how to best manage use for all groups. I believe there are reasons for why hunters pay and do more that you are all too conveniently leaving out, along with reasons for allowing hikers to hike that most agree with. And no, not going to detail those and try to convince you.

If you feel that way about public lands then we can bring the equestrians on the AT then.Their a group also Mountain bikers their a group and ass you stated this is public land...So your arguments kind of counter anything you say. BUT hey hike your own hike.BTW is a hiker kills another hiker whos fault is it and responcibility? curious your answer?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++