WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    I suppose it is possible the Sawyer S3 carbon filter would work......but I cannot find Sawyer making the claim to remove the toxins. So, who knows
    Here you go. I asked Sawyer the question at the same time I posted here (wasn't sure they would respond). Here is what they said.

Thanks for reaching out to us and for your interest in our water filters.

The Sawyer Squeeze and MINI will remove cyanobacteria but will not remove the related toxins. However, the Select S3 will remove both the bacteria and the toxins the bacteria release into the water. Here is a link to learn more - https://sawyer.com/products/select-filter-and-purifier/

Let us know if you have any other questions or comments,

Jeanne

Sawyer Customer Service

Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Good to know, thanks Idsailor.

Here's another question for this thread. One of the hikers with whom I'll be hiking at Zion called the park and talked with someone about the water. The ranger said freshwater springs from the source do not have traceable levels of toxins and are safe to filter, treat and drink. The map on the Zion website pretty much shows all water contaminated.

I'm just wondering here is, does anyone have more information or thoughts on what the ranger had to say. Maybe someone has been there recently or lives in the area.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    Here's another question for this thread. One of the hikers with whom I'll be hiking at Zion called the park and talked with someone about the water. The ranger said freshwater springs from the source do not have traceable levels of toxins and are safe to filter, treat and drink. The map on the Zion website pretty much shows all water contaminated.

I'm just wondering here is, does anyone have more information or thoughts on what the ranger had to say. Maybe someone has been there recently or lives in the area.
    I did the Trans Zion Trek in 2019 from Kolob Canyon to the East Rim (shuttled hike). So my route was limited, but I only recall two "normal" springs (not creeks): Cabin Springs (mid route and close to the main canyon) and Stave Springs (east Side). It's been a while though. When it comes to carrying a lot of water also consider that you'll be carrying your own poop too per park requirements. I want to say you can get potable water easily enough in the main canyon if your route goes through there. And really, if you had to stash, it should be easy enough in terms of trailhead and road access. I never had to carry my poop for more than a day before hitting a trailhead trash can along the way.

This could be a spoiler, but if interested, here is a report I did: https://www.trailspace.com/forums/tr...cs/196974.html

Journal Entries
    Images

Good news on the filter. Crappy news on the filter the cost...But atleast you know..I posted the reviews on the other two filters cause it had the scientific info from the company pinned in the reviews. BTW glad Patman gave you the rundown on water sources.I asked my niece about her trip their her and her hiking buddy Packed in water and cached at a few places. Have a good trip...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++