WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

jimqpublic
    Thanks, I'll definitely try your way, a crude igloo. I have always wanted to try it but never built it��

From your video, I've learned a few things.
    One was, if you make a snow bivouac you better make the roof slanted and smoth to not have low points on the rooftop where from water will drop down.
    I've been there, done this - but done wrong, and got soaked by all the snowmelt dropping down on me.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    From your video, I've learned a few things
    Me too...a warm house and hot fireplace are a blessing!

Journal Entries

Yes it is very hard if it starts to drip water. Especially at night when sleeping. I also usually try to adjust the ventilation so that it is freezing in the beehive. Not cold, but just so it does not start to melt and get wet.

Great post Vandrafjäll. I suspect most people here know little of Sarek. But I have been planning a trip to the mountains of northern Sweden (Kungsleden, Padjelantaleden, and off-trail options around Sarek and Kebnakaise) for a long time. I do not know when I will get the chance, but hopefully it will be someday soon. Still undecided what would be the best option for a 10 first trek. It would be a summer trip. I am too old to start winter trekking at this point, although I understand some winter weather is possible any month of the year up there. I also follow the utsidans.se forum, which I can read thanks to Google Translate. Jag talar inte Svenska, men jag förstår lite (enough to understand your username). I learned a little on my trip to Sweden a few years ago to visit relatives (). I am Swedish American (all 16 of my great grandparents are from Sweden). Maybe we are cousins. Anyway, I am always looking for good information on trekking in Sweden so thanks for the post.

We visited our daughter in Sweden last Oct. and I had a 2/3-days-hike in the Helagsfjell area in mind, but didn't even start it due to my incompetent equipment for the given situation.
    The biggest issue were my boots, which were suit for the desert, but not for the extremely wet conditions in late autumn in Sweden highlands.
    We don't even have any boots that would be fit for Scandinavian hikes, next time I'm going up there I'll bring some extra money and will buy a pair of Lundhags (or similar) on-site.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Great post Vandrafjäll. I suspect most people here know little of Sarek. But I have been planning a trip to the mountains of northern Sweden (Kungsleden, Padjelantaleden, and off-trail options around Sarek and Kebnakaise) for a long time. I do not know when I will get the chance, but hopefully it will be someday soon. Still undecided what would be the best option for a 10 first trek. It would be a summer trip. I am too old to start winter trekking at this point, although I understand some winter weather is possible any month of the year up there. I also follow the utsidans.se forum, which I can read thanks to Google Translate. Jag talar inte Svenska, men jag förstår lite (enough to understand your username). I learned a little on my trip to Sweden a few years ago to visit relatives (). I am Swedish American (all 16 of my great grandparents are from Sweden). Maybe we are cousins. Anyway, I am always looking for good information on trekking in Sweden so thanks for the post.
    Thanks. A nice trip but can be a lot of people is Abisko to Nikkaluokta, then you pass Kebnekaise. In Sarek, a very nice trip can be from Ritsem to Saultaloukta, but a little unsure if there is enough time.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    We visited our daughter in Sweden last Oct. and I had a 2/3-days-hike in the Helagsfjell area in mind, but didn't even start it due to my incompetent equipment for the given situation.
    The biggest issue were my boots, which were suit for the desert, but not for the extremely wet conditions in late autumn in Sweden highlands.
    We don't even have any boots that would be fit for Scandinavian hikes, next time I'm going up there I'll bring some extra money and will buy a pair of Lundhags (or similar) on-site.
    Yes, I can really recommend Lundhag's boots. They are very durable and last a long time. I myself have a couple who never seem to give up. And they resist water very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrafjäll View Post
    Thanks. A nice trip but can be a lot of people is Abisko to Nikkaluokta, then you pass Kebnekaise. In Sarek, a very nice trip can be from Ritsem to Saultaloukta, but a little unsure if there is enough time.
    Thanks. I know Abisko to Nikkaluokta is crowded, but that area might be smarter than trying to cross Sarek solo on my first outing. I was thinking detours through valleys to Nallo, Vistas, or Tarfala would let me avoid the crowds most of the time but still be able to use Kungsleden huts for some resupply.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Thanks. I know Abisko to Nikkaluokta is crowded, but that area might be smarter than trying to cross Sarek solo on my first outing. I was thinking detours through valleys to Nallo, Vistas, or Tarfala would let me avoid the crowds most of the time but still be able to use Kungsleden huts for some resupply.
    Yes it is very beautiful there. Here is a picture I took when I was camping in the Tarfala valley.20200811_072915.jpg

Journal Entries

There are several glaciers that meet in the valley.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++