WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thoughts on hitchhiking during the zombie plague?

I have an upcoming trip (postponed from last year) that would normally involve a short (30 mile) hitchhike between the traihead and a bus stop. I did mention "normally", because, well, I don't know if things are really all that back to normal yet.

Maybe it's too early in the season to be asking these questions, and perhaps the situation will evolve as the year moves along, but I would appreciate hearing your perspective.

Assuming you are the type of person who is okay with hitching between locations, what are your thoughts concerning hitching during our current health situation (ie, would you still expect to get a ride)?

Likewise, if you are the type of person who normally picks up hiker trash, what are your thoughts about continuing this practice?

If either party is delicious then it is fine.

Journal Entries
    Images

People were getting hitches on the Arizonia trail this year. Go for it..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    People were getting hitches on the Arizonia trail this year. Go for it..
    Nice to hear that, thanks.

Not in the US but here in the Alps, the numbers of people being outdoors multiplied during the pandemic, simply because it was one of the very few things people were allowed to do: Hiking, skiing etc.
    With way more people outdoors than usual, the number of cars traveling to and from trailheads increased as well.
    What I noticed: Walking with a backpack along the access road hiker-style, almost every car driver would give a questioning sign if I wanted to get picked up.
    Hitchhiking seemed to never have been that easy as during the pandemic.
    When entering a foreign car, I would always put on a facemask as a sign of courtesy.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've done a little bit of hitchhiking, but I'm not particularly good at it.
    One mode of hitchhiking transportation (if legal where you are) I don't think is much affect by pandemic is riding in the back of a pickup truck. Had a recent day hike loop where the two ends of the trail were sperated by about a 4 mile road walk. Started walking the road, and any vehicle coming that even looked like it might be a truck, I stuck my thumb out for. Only hiked about half a mile before a pickup truck stopped for me.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Do it. Hopefully someone will stop. Sometimes they do; sometimes they don't
    Be Prepared

Images

Should be fine. Have a mask handy. I always pick up hikers when I'm back up north. Add that a lot of people have now been vaccinated and are likely less worried about contracting COVID, especially from someone healthy enough to be out hiking.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I hitchhiked on the Colorado Trail last year and had good luck. Only one ride took a long time to get, but that was due to the area being remote and few cars were on the road. I also got a ride at a trail head 6 weeks ago on the AZT from some section hikers. No problems.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I gave a thru-hiker a ride from Dicks Creek Gap into Hiawassee. I didn't have an issue because I had both vaccines
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Thank you for all of the responses, I'm glad to hear that assuming a thumb's-out posture is still valid in this day and age, and a viable alternative to hundreds of bucks on an Uber.

I wanted to follow up with this thread and relate my experience. Spent a week and a half backpacking (mostly PCT) earlier this month, and I was indeed able to get my rides.

The first ride was from a Ranger Station to the trailhead, so I had a big sign printed up with the destination to look professional and let people know where I was going. It took about 45 minutes, but eventually a very nice couple who were doing an overnighter picked me up (they passed me by then came back because they liked my sign). I was wearing a mask for this ride, as were they, and since they were going to a destination very near to mine I got dropped off right at the trailhead.

The other ride was upon completion of my trip. While I had a sign printed up with a local town that had bus service to my final destination, the bus didn't leave until late in the afternoon, and being as since it was late morning, I decided to just stick my thumb out and try to get a ride the whole way. I was facing the sun and it was warm, so I didn't have my mask on.

About a half hour later a Navy vet in an old pickup pulled over right besides me, with authority; the kind of guy who didn't hesitate for a minute about picking someone up who needed a ride. He grew up locally, so I got to learn a lot of history about places we were driving by which was very nice.

All in all I would say that it was pretty much the same as it has ever been; most squares won't pick you up, but there are still people out there who will give a hiker a lift, mask or no mask.

++ New Posts ++