WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21

    Default

    I passed through Roanoke twice for section hikes and I can tell you that this otherwise quintessential little town has a creepy side especially around the Greyhound bus station. If this young lady wants to get on the trail, the best way is to take the bus to Blacksburg and then a shuttle (in my case, to Pearisburg with the Hiker's Heaven hostel). If she wants to go to WV, then she will have to take a Greyhound bus or Amtrak train to DC. So, her options to get out of Roanoke are limited and I would be surprised if she's not found yet.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    I passed through Roanoke twice for section hikes and I can tell you that this otherwise quintessential little town has a creepy side especially around the Greyhound bus station.
    I've lived here 30 years and never found the 'creepy' side of Roanoke. Fascinating.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-01-2011
    Location
    Hendricks Cty, Indiana
    Age
    66
    Posts
    886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    If she wants to go to WV, then she will have to take a Greyhound bus or Amtrak train to DC. So, her options to get out of Roanoke are limited and I would be surprised if she's not found yet.
    Why? It depends on where in WV. Pearisburg is right next to WV.

  4. #24

    Default

    a teen is running away, it is generally because they do not believe it is either physically or emotionally safe for them to be at home, regardless of the reality of the situation.

    Your Ďgeneralí assumption is based on what? And a quote of a study from the 80ís is off point totally. I told you life threw a curveball at an athlete who had plans destroyed by an injury. It sent a teen girl into a tailspin. She has been supported in all her activities, not emotionally or physically abused. Teens can run away for various reasons. I continue to beg for help on my friends behalf to find their daughter so they can get her whatever help she needs.

    Thank you for any and all positive prayers. No cynicism needed.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I've lived here 30 years and never found the 'creepy' side of Roanoke. Fascinating.
    I've ridden the Greyhound and other buses along the I81 corridor many times. I have personally heard some sketchy conversations coming from sketchy people which is why I specifically mentioned a Greyhound station, many of which, at the risk of overuse, are sketchy. Roanoke station does not stand out in my mind particularly but it's the people using the bus that one should be alert for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Why? It depends on where in WV. Pearisburg is right next to WV.
    No real "target" for living off the land on the WV side, there's not really much public land there. Biggest remote area would be the Monongahela National Forest and from Roanoke that would mean getting to I64. I don't think Greyhound runs along I64 into WV though. If the NF in WV is her destination, Amtrak from Clifton Forge is near Roanoke, but at that point she would be in the George Washington Jefferson NF which borders the Monongahela and WV. Amtrak would take you to White Sulphur Springs or Lewisburg though if she is super intent on getting into WV. If her family has traveled to somewhere specific that could be a destination she is familiar with and has in mind.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I've ridden the Greyhound and other buses along the I81 corridor many times. I have personally heard some sketchy conversations coming from sketchy people which is why I specifically mentioned a Greyhound station, many of which, at the risk of overuse, are sketchy. Roanoke station does not stand out in my mind particularly but it's the people using the bus that one should be alert for.
    No question - individual people are certainly a concern. I just found stephanD's comment bizarre and off base.

  7. #27

    Default

    Folks it's not really appropriate to be speculating on this young person's family situation. Her safety is at immediate risk as a runaway and there are services available both public and private should she need them at home. And at a fundamental level, the young woman is truant, whether she is in school full time, virtual or homeschooled, she's not currently there. Let's keep it to getting her home safely and leave her and her family's private matters private.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  8. #28
    Registered User ldsailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-25-2016
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Age
    71
    Posts
    710

    Default

    It's been very interesting reading the speculation on the young woman's reason for leaving home. Let me add my own personal experience. At 16, the day before final exams of my junior year of high school, I walked two blocks from my home in a Chicago suburb to a mildly busy two lane, city street and stuck out my thumb. A week later I was in Los Angeles. I was mad at my parents for not letting me take my car on a trip to a resort town with some of my friends. Other than that, which I considered the ultimate in abuse, life was pretty good in my middle class home - not perfect by any means - but pretty good.

    Kids do stupid things for many reasons and it doesn't necessarily indicate abuse. If my father would have explained to me that my car's tires were bald and showing the inner core making them very dangerous, I probably would never have left.

    Never did take those junior year finals.
    Hitch Hiking to CALF.jpeg
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    No question - individual people are certainly a concern. I just found stephanD's comment bizarre and off base.
    don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my stay in Roanoke and I even spoiled myself with one night at the historic Hotel Roanoke. What i'm saying is I arrived late afternoon from Blacksburg to the Greyhound bus station and couldn't help but to notice the vagabonds, panhandlers and homeless wandering around. did not bother me personally, i'm used to it here in NYC but for a 16 y/o it can be unsettling, that's all.

  10. #30

    Default

    I guess if the very first thing you see of town is the surroundings of the bus stop, that could make sense.

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    .........Kids do stupid things for many reasons and it doesn't necessarily indicate abuse. If my father would have explained to me that my car's tires were bald and showing the inner core making them very dangerous, I probably would never have left............
    Well put. Adolescents generally haven't developed mature decision making skills, they see the world differently from adults and are emotionally immature so they are prone to making poor decisions. To infer abuse as the reason this teenager left home is unwarranted and with the police involved now hopefully any thing of that nature would be discovered and investigated. I hope she is safe and returns to her parents unharmed.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

  12. #32
    Registered User hobbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2010
    Location
    fincastle Virginia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    638
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    It's been very interesting reading the speculation on the young woman's reason for leaving home. Let me add my own personal experience. At 16, the day before final exams of my junior year of high school, I walked two blocks from my home in a Chicago suburb to a mildly busy two lane, city street and stuck out my thumb. A week later I was in Los Angeles. I was mad at my parents for not letting me take my car on a trip to a resort town with some of my friends. Other than that, which I considered the ultimate in abuse, life was pretty good in my middle class home - not perfect by any means - but pretty good.

    Kids do stupid things for many reasons and it doesn't necessarily indicate abuse. If my father would have explained to me that my car's tires were bald and showing the inner core making them very dangerous, I probably would never have left.

    Never did take those junior year finals.
    Hitch Hiking to CALF.jpeg
    Said well and so true. But it seems some like to speculate and create more to this and use a false narative. it was explained by a hiker who is a friend of the family.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

  13. #33

    Default

    Has the girl been found? Seen? Are there any updates?

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    Has the girl been found? Seen? Are there any updates?
    she has not been found and per her moms post yesterday she is believed to be train hoping and not on the AT as original thought.

  15. #35

    Default

    Thank you, Needlefish. I got distracted by all the drift, and wondered about the person. Thanks for the update.

  16. #36

    Default

    Girl was noticed and reported to LEO,, back with parents.
    https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news...fe-in-roanoke/

  17. #37

    Default

    Good outcome!

  18. #38
    Registered User JNI64's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Awesome so nice to have some good news!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •