WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    My dad had a triple by-pass in his early 60's. At which time he finally quit smoking. He just turned 98 and still living on his own. My Mom lived to 90. Guess I got good genes

Back to diet, one of my early LASH hikes I started out with mostly pasta, then switched to PB+J sandwiches for dinner, GORP for breakfast and lunch, with a Snickers bar for a mid afternoon pick me up. After I switched to PB+J, I stopped loosing weight.
    Peanut butter is HIGH in sugar and peanuts, a legume, is known to spike insulin and leave your BG elevated for extended periods of time - with or without the sugary jelly and the bread providing an extra spike in BG. REAL peanut butter - just peanuts - is much healthier but will still spike your BG and leave it elevated.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    Peanut butter is HIGH in sugar and peanuts, a legume, is known to spike insulin and leave your BG elevated for extended periods of time - with or without the sugary jelly and the bread providing an extra spike in BG. REAL peanut butter - just peanuts - is much healthier but will still spike your BG and leave it elevated.
    Pick your poison. If it ain't one thing, it's another.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Well said Deadeye!!!
    I don't worry too much about what my ancestors ate - they didn't live very long. But they were hunter-gatherers; they ate what they could. Meat and fish when they could kill it, fruits, nuts etc. in season. We are natural omnivores.

However, the crap some people choose to eat at home or on the trail is amazing. I don't know why so many hikers expect to get high performance out of their bodies while eating low performance fuel. You can't live on Honey buns, pop-tarts (frosted raspberry thank you very much), and cherry coke. I think we can all treat ourselves on the trail - the calories will get used - but a better diet is bound to get better results.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

A guy on the AT once told me he gets, "energy from the air"! But doesn't he know its polluted?

"I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    A guy on the AT once told me he gets, "energy from the air"! But doesn't he know its polluted?
    If you want to wander down a bizarre rabbit trail, look up 'breatharian'.

Breather Ian, wasn't he the Benedictine Monk who invented underwear?

You can't out hike or out exercise a crappy diet. Ask Jim Fixx. Oh wait, you can't. Google him. "The Father of the Running Movement." Died young, maybe 54? How? Massive heart attack due to his crappy diet despite "looking fit" and running marathons for years. He left a good looking corpse.

3rd leading cause is medical error and 4th leading cause is prescription medication (excluding ODs). But yeah, most of the stuff that kills people these days is directly related to their diet.
    I fully agree that a good diet is important, but Jim Fixx's father had his first heart attack at 35 and died of a heart attack at 43, plus Jim himself smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day for years before he quit. My bet is that genetics played the largest role.

It's often repeated, but medical errors are almost certainly not even close to the third leading cause of death.

Trying to figure out how to get a weeks worth of food for the 100 mile. So far have about 18k cals with lots of nuts and a squeeze bottle of ghee, moon cheese etc. still at about 9lbs for 18,500 cals. Feeling unworthy

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Trying to figure out how to get a weeks worth of food for the 100 mile. So far have about 18k cals with lots of nuts and a squeeze bottle of ghee, moon cheese etc. still at about 9lbs for 18,500 cals. Feeling unworthy
    You're right in line with my personal metrics. I plan one pound for every ten miles, sometimes less. I packed eight pounds of food for the Hundred Mile Wilderness on the AT, for example, but that was at the end of a long hike and I had lots of fine-tuning experience (and I hiked it in four days). Calorie density is okay, too, about 125 kcal/oz. I try to reach 130 or so, but don't always make it.

Your experience could vary greatly, of course, depending on many factors. Your hiking efficiency, metabolism, general health, body fat percentage, and perhaps most important, tolerance for hunger. The first time I went to bed hungry on my PCT hike, in the middle of the Sierra Nevada with several days left to my food supply, I was freaking out. But I didn't die overnight, and did fine the next few days. I just experienced for the first time in my privileged life what much of the world feels every night.

After that I carried less food, no more "emergency" supplies. I thought back to the survival course I took a few years before, and realized there wasn't a single unit on food.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Thanks for the confirmation I’m not crazy. After watching the Gear Skeptic videos, I had hoped I could get my cals/oz up to 150 or so, but must be tougher than it looks. I probably have some package weight that I could cut, but not going to move the needle dramatically.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    ...I probably have some package weight that I could cut....
    That was my first thought when you mentioned a squeeze bottle of ghee. My solution would be a baggie of cashews. (I think you mentioned earlier you are trying to be vegan.) The only packaging I ever carry is a jar of peanut butter. And at the end of a 100+ mile hike, I can fit all my trash in the empty peanut butter jar.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Trying without complete success! Obviously if I have ghee. Most of the weight I could/will cut is big plastic jar of nuts, that will go zip lock. Will save a couple-3 ozs. Not enough to shot the cals/oz ratio too much

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++