WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Newfound gap parking question

I'm looking to park in the lot for a few days - hiking north on the trail to Davenport gap.
    Route 40 then picking up ride back to car.
    Problems with that?
    Not allowed to park there for a few days?

it's allowed

Do you have a ride lined up?

Images

As long as you list your vehicle description and license number on your backcountry permit. Tric.ky part is getting a ride back to NFG.

BTW Are you aware that Cosby Knob Shelter is already closed due to bear issues?

OK. Thank you for the information.
    I'll already have information on the ride back from my friend.

Second question - as you ae allowed to park in the lot if hiking.

Does anyone have information on the free shuttle from Gatlinberg to Clingmans dome?
    Phone number - hours of operation?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Longboysfan View Post
    Second question - as you ae allowed to park in the lot if hiking.

Does anyone have information on the free shuttle from Gatlinberg to Clingmans dome?
    Phone number - hours of operation?
    Free - None
    And according to the person I talked to in the back country office this week, there's only two shuttle companies with permits to shuttle in the park based in TN (others based in NC).
    Those two are 'A Walk In The Woods' and 'AAA Hiker Service'

AWITW only just resumed shuttle services (cancelled during covid). You'd have to call them from a quote, but I recently contacted them about a short shuttle between Sugarlands and Laural Falls. They currently have a minimum charge, and that minimum was something like $62. Given that in years past, they gave me a quote of about $75 between Rainbow Falls and New Found Gap, I'd be surprised if a shuttle between Gatlinburg and Clingman's dome wasn't at least $100.

AAA - I've been trying to contact him off and on since covid hit (and tried several times this week alone). I've not been able to get in touch with him.

Hitch-hiking is legal (in the park, not sure about the laws in Gatlinburg city limits).
    Prior to Covid, AT thru hikers generally didn't have a problem getting a ride between Gatlinburg and New Found Gap.
    No idea how easy or difficult it's been for them this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Free - None
    And according to the person I talked to in the back country office this week, there's only two shuttle companies with permits to shuttle in the park based in TN (others based in NC).
    Those two are 'A Walk In The Woods' and 'AAA Hiker Service'

AWITW only just resumed shuttle services (cancelled during covid). You'd have to call them from a quote, but I recently contacted them about a short shuttle between Sugarlands and Laural Falls. They currently have a minimum charge, and that minimum was something like $62. Given that in years past, they gave me a quote of about $75 between Rainbow Falls and New Found Gap, I'd be surprised if a shuttle between Gatlinburg and Clingman's dome wasn't at least $100.

AAA - I've been trying to contact him off and on since covid hit (and tried several times this week alone). I've not been able to get in touch with him.

Hitch-hiking is legal (in the park, not sure about the laws in Gatlinburg city limits).
    Prior to Covid, AT thru hikers generally didn't have a problem getting a ride between Gatlinburg and New Found Gap.
    No idea how easy or difficult it's been for them this year.
    My buddy just came back and told me there was a church group that ran a free shuttle service from Gatlinburg to Clingmans dome.

Gatlinburg is a pretty small town. You could call the different churches and ask them(shouldn't be too many). Maybe call NOC Gatlinburg. They might know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxhiker View Post
    Gatlinburg is a pretty small town. You could call the different churches and ask them(shouldn't be too many). Maybe call NOC Gatlinburg. They might know.
    Good idea - did not think of that...
    I'll get on that...
    And reply back with information.

Well struck out on the churches. Most are only open Sundays.
    Called Gatlinburg NOC - they said free shuttle only runs in April.
    Called a shuttle driver she gave me parameters of her service.
    Would cost about $75 from Davenport gap to Clingmans Dome.

$75 is very cheap. It's 60+ miles and 1.5 to 2 hours one way. Driver has to do twice that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodman View Post
    $75 is very cheap. It's 60+ miles and 1.5 to 2 hours one way. Driver has to do twice that.
    Well only one time if you walk to your car.

++ New Posts ++