WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default RAMPS - Sustainable Trailside Veggie

Now is the time you can use a small sachet/packet of olive oil to make an afternoon salad.

Pick a few Ramps and some dandelions and enjoy.
    Ramps (Allium tricoccum) are also called wild leeks and are in the same family as onions and garlic (Allium). They have a strong onion flavor and can be used just like you would use onions or garlic. They grow wild in the eastern United States and Canada.
    Please note: Ramps require special harvesting practices as they are becoming threatened in many areas. Ramps should be cut leaving the bulb in the ground to regrow.
    sustainably-harvested-ramps.jpgOlive oil sachet.jpg

Let us know if you have a favorite springtime edible plant for your trailside enjoyment.

Last edited by zelph; 04-19-2024 at 21:41.

And today is the Annual Ramp Festival at Camp McCroy, Polk County, TN where you can savour the local's favorite dishes. Several citizens tramp up the slopes of Big Frog and other local mountains to gather for the celebration.

Default Better Clarification on the Ramp Festival

The ramps are gathered above the 3000-4000 foot elevation. The camp is near Reliance, TN where the Hiwasse River and the Benton-Mackaye Trail pass thru. I didn't feel like I 'finished' my prior post as it is still early for this wonderful spring morning. Thank you Zelph for the post. Once you know how to identify this leek onion, you can add it to your supper and clean the shelter out before morning and be gifted with a natural insect repellent for at least 3 days after one meal. I have found them in several places along the AT, GA-TN state line and a very long way up the trail heading North. 1-3 small bulbs smashed on a rock is all you will need. If you're Pink Blazing, its over with for a few.

We have ramps in New England too. There's a nice patch out back on my property that is doing very well, thanks in part to the heavy rain we've been experiencing. Ramp salad will be on the menu tonight.

ramps.jpg
    Last edited by tiptoe; 04-20-2024 at 08:56. Reason: image was in middle of text. fixed now.

Images

PXL_20240416_204546504.jpg

I roasted 10 small ramps, shredded them and then blended them into a stick of Kerry Gold herb butter. Beyond delicious!

Looks yummy. Anyone have more easy recipe suggestions?

Images

I used my trusty old Venom Super Stove to do the roasting. This photo shows me roasting a hot dog in aluminum foil:

ramp roaster.jpg

Roasting the ramps reduces the high oniony fragrance/taste
    Last edited by zelph; 04-20-2024 at 10:37.

I bought a book once on edible wild plants, and quickly realized you couldn’t get many calories from most of them, except for fruits, and nuts. Other things, like ramps can be useful for flavoring.

Images

I picked some yesterday.
    Today I chopped them up, sauted them, added more veggies and made some veggie potato soup.

++ New Posts ++