WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How Crowded in 2021 So Far?

Hopefully this is the right forum for this question, but apologies if not.

I'm starting my NOBO thru on May 2. I'm curious what other hikers are experiencing so far in this second season of COVID-19. How crowded is it on the trail, in shelters, and in towns? Normal numbers, heavier than normal numbers, outrageously crowded? And although I've been vaccinated, are most hikers being diligent about social distancing? Thanks.

Wilderness is where things work the way they're supposed to work - Walkin' Jim Stoltz

Journal Entries
    Images

Best to hear the updates in how many are on trail from Randino on youtube he posts every sunday sometime...BUT from what I am seeing following protical in my area and state,,
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    Best to hear the updates in how many are on trail from Randino on youtube he posts every sunday sometime...BUT from what I am seeing following protical in my area and state,,
    Thanks, I watched the Ramdino video. Got some tidbits on shelter populations, which is helpful. I can do without his religious proselytizing, but it was pretty minor, and he seems like a nice guy.

All told, sounds like shelters are often full, but I usually stealth camp anyway. Appreciate the help.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm in Erwin and my very unscientific guess is we're at about 60-65% of pre-covid numbers for this time of year.

My wife figured out what's different this year. We've shuttled 300+ hikers. So far not a single person from another country.

We're missing the Europeans and Asians.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    My wife figured out what's different this year. We've shuttled 300+ hikers. So far not a single person from another country.

We're missing the Europeans and Asians.
    MS Janet took a Picture of hikers from germany she shuttled caught that on a facebook group.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

I didn't even know she was on the trail this year.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I didn't even know she was on the trail this year.
    Yeah she posted a fund raiser for the bounce bus this year... she posted a picture in a gap cant remember which one cause hikers doing graffitti to park property..

I live near Hot Springs NC and was in town today. I would estimate and the Staff at the Smokey Mountain Diner agree...that so far....the number of Hikers is about 33% of the normal volume.

It's so weird trying to get beta when everyone is just crawling out from under their rocks. Crazy times furshur.

Keep the good info coming.

Images

Have seen small crowds crossing 11 in Atkins/Groseclose. There were 12 packs outside Burrito Loco yesterday.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Images

From a ridge runner report. Friday 4/9/2021 there were 28 thru hikers overnight at Tricorner Shelter, Saturday 10 thru hikers at Peck's Corner and Sunday there were 27 thru hikers plus 5 section hikers at Ice Water Springs shelter.

the wife and i just hiked sobo from erwin 4-18 and counted well over 50 hikers in 2 days.no big tramilies just steady 4-5 per group.
    and we decided that there were more woman than men this year.

++ New Posts ++