WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hang tag 2021

Default hang tag 2021

is this something that is needed?
    tia

Images

no..

it's voluntary and only when the ATC is issuing them (non covid years)...

Quote Originally Posted by beachbunny View Post
    tia
    No.

Could it lead to interesting conversations with people, who want to hear about your journey so far, perhaps?

I've seen lots of comments about how section hikers have been made to feel inferior to thru hikers, so for that reason, I'm not sure how I would feel about displaying an ATC hang tag. Even if I had one issued from the ATC, I might just bury it in the bottom of my pack, or mail it home.

Why would a thru hiker think they are superior to a section hiker? It is just walking

Quote Originally Posted by beachbunny View Post
    tia
    Yes absolutely and you must video your whole trip and YouTube it .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    Why would a thru hiker think they are superior to a section hiker? It is just walking

that's not really the point.....

the ATC uses it as a way to collect data to figure out impact on resources and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post

the ATC uses it as a way to collect data to figure out impact on resources and all that...

It serves a few different purposes, so you are both sort of right. The answer to the OP's question though is "No."

Sure wish I had one about now though
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

NHPete said, "I've seen lots of comments about how section hikers have been made to feel inferior to thru hikers,.... "

My question was right on point. Actually, one could make the argument that completion of the entire AT section by section is much, much more difficult from a logistics, cost, and physical pain standpoint and therefore, Section Hikers are superior.

Images

Actually, one could make the argument that completion of the entire AT section by section is much, much more difficult from a logistics, cost, and physical pain standpoint and therefore, Section Hikers are superior

but, in the end, who really cares?

hyoh....

NHPete said, "I've seen lots of comments about how section hikers have been made to feel inferior to thru hikers,.... "

My question was right on point. Actually, one could make the argument that completion of the entire AT section by section is much, much more difficult from a logistics, cost, and physical pain standpoint and therefore, Section Hikers are superior.
    No one makes you feel. They provide opportunities to feel. The choice is yours when it comes to how you think about your hike. There is no scoreboard showing one above another, no objective scale we can use to measure them against each other. We each are out there for our own reasons, enjoying or torturing ourselves as we see best. Simply attempting each day on trail makes you superior to the person you were the day before, but nobody's hike makes them better than others. Judge yourself if you will, but don't worry about whether others think your hike is superior or inferior, just enjoy it while you can!
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

but, in the end, who really cares?

hyoh....
    Those who want the tag care. If you did not care, you would not have responded.

People like me who have wanted for over 40 years to hike the AT in its entirety and who are going to go thru great lengths to do it in accordance with each state's guidelines and/or laws? They might care. Some might care enough to stop donating to the badge maker because they see their broad action to withold recognition as petty, mean spirited, and bureaucratic. Of course, you can mind your own business, too.

Quote Originally Posted by NHPete View Post
    I've seen lots of comments about how section hikers have been made to feel inferior to thru hikers, so for that reason, I'm not sure how I would feel about displaying an ATC hang tag. Even if I had one issued from the ATC, I might just bury it in the bottom of my pack, or mail it home.
    Elitism exists most everywhere, one either succumbs to it or rises above it.

thanks folks

Quote Originally Posted by NHPete View Post
    . . .I've seen lots of comments about how section hikers have been made to feel inferior to thru hikers, so for that reason, I'm not sure how I would feel about displaying an ATC hang tag. Even if I had one issued from the ATC, I might just bury it in the bottom of my pack, or mail it home.
    So, I should get a patch for my pack that says something along the lines of "Thru-hikers do it to completion. Section hikes keep stopping in the middle"?

Yeah, but it's walking further and being out longer all in one go. It's getting the job done instead of dawdling along a little at a time.

. . . Actually, one could make the argument that completion of the entire AT section by section is much, much more difficult from a logistics, cost, and physical pain standpoint and therefore, Section Hikers are superior.
    Yeah, and passing math with a C grade by someone that struggles with it is superior to the A+ student that makes it look easy?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    No one makes you feel. They provide opportunities to feel. The choice is yours when it comes to how you think about your hike. There is no scoreboard showing one above another, no objective scale we can use to measure them against each other. . .
    But, there IS an objective and clear scoreboard. Okay, maybe we should say scoreboards, plural. Who hikes the fastest? Who hikes the furthest? Who hikes the longest? Who hikes through the worst weather?

The point is exactly as you state in the beginning, "No one makes you feel. They provide opportunities to feel. The choice is yours . . ." Your scoreboard is the only one that really matters. Pick the score board that works for you and don't expect others the use the same one. AND, don't judge others by your scoreboard. . . oh gosh, we're back to hyoh.

Those who want the tag care. If you did not care, you would not have responded. . . Of course, you can mind your own business, too.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Elitism exists most everywhere, one either succumbs to it or rises above it.
    Yeah, or kicks it's ass.

Personally, I think I'm better than all of you because I haven't wasted 5 months of my life walking through an overpopulated, worn out, green tunnel, with little protective shelters along the way, following a well marked trail like a bunch of sheep. I backpack to higher elevations, with more dramatic views, navigating my own routes through untrailed wildernesses, days from the nearest roads. . .

Obviously, this is a really stupid, useless, and probably hurtful game where nobody wins unless we each acknowledge our need for a personal sense of value in what we do and recognition/appreciation from the people that matter to us. AND, most of all it is a game with no winners unless we each reach out to help others achieve that sense of personal worth and peace that this "game" is all about.

Now, get off the darn computer (speaking to myself) and go for a hike!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    But, there IS an objective and clear scoreboard. Okay, maybe we should say scoreboards, plural. Who hikes the fastest? Who hikes the furthest? Who hikes the longest? Who hikes through the worst weather?
    You figured it out already that choosing the method of objectively scoring is subjective. By my scoring system fastest loses and FKT stands for Funnest Known Trek

YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    You figured it out already that choosing the method of objectively scoring is subjective. . .
    Well said. I actually can't think of anything objective about what I would consider my personal scoreboard, which is much more subjective bliss, inspirational high, thrilling adrenaline rush, brag-worthy adventure stories, deep personal insightful moments, etc.

And, I do find myself belittling people in my mind that are not focused on the same things I am, even though I know my "scoreboard" isn't necessarily relevant to another person's experiences and values.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Geez, someone slept in their grumpy trousers all winter.

As for me I keep score at my desk in $’s. On the trail I stop keeping score.

Images

Those who want the tag care. If you did not care, you would not have responded.

People like me who have wanted for over 40 years to hike the AT in its entirety and who are going to go thru great lengths to do it in accordance with each state's guidelines and/or laws? They might care.

but the hang tags dont indicate that one has completed the trail...

it just means one has registered at the beginning of the trail indicating that they are
    attempting a thru......

scores of people get the tag and dont even make it to virginia.....

the thing that does indicate one has completed the trail, in whatever fashion the hiker does it, and if they choose to get one is the certificate
    from the ATC.......

Of course, you can mind your own business, too.

sure i could......but this is a discussion board and i am free to interject my thoughts........

if ya don't like my thoughts, feel free to scroll by or put me on your ignore list......IDGAF......

Journal Entries
    Images

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    So, I should get a patch for my pack that says something along the lines of "Thru-hikers do it to completion. Section hikes keep stopping in the middle"?
    This really deserved its own thread ...

I want one that references my erstwhile southbound status — but I am not brave enough to mention the one thought that came to mind.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++