WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Keep in contact off the grid.

Guys and Gals. I am starting a new job and new part of my life. One last grand adventure before I am pushing daisies.
    I AMNOT a smartphone guy.. I am tech savy but simply cant use a touch screen. LOVED my blackberry till Verizon dropped support.
    Anyhow. Heard folks talk about a Garmin inreach..
    Needs,,, would like to be able to text at will to keep the wife happy and in touch.
    I will be in areas with ZERO cell service, including the North Pole and coast of Antarctica.
    Vessel has limited internet if at all. Anything of reasonable cost out there ?

Oh battery life isnt a big deal,,, I have power

Thinking Spot X

The inReach is going to give you texting around the world. If you want more a true satellite phone would also let you talk, but the expense for unit and satellite time is much higher. No experience with Spot products, but I've been using an inReach SE for many years and find it works well enough, though messages can be delayed at times in either direction.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    Thinking Spot X
    Spot uses Globestar Satellites which is not global. Garmin Inreach uses Iridium Satellites which is Global.

looking at coverage map, around north alaska,,, might be good enough and an annual subscription for 240 messages aint bad

I'd recommend the Garmin InReach because of slightly better coverage (that only matters in some areas). BUT, the Spot-X uses those little tactile buttons like the Blackberry, so you might just fall in love with that option.

I'd check out the coverage maps and the cost of both, then go to your local outfitter and touch them and see what you think.

Good luck.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

It may be worth seeing if you could use an ipad or phone with a bluetooth keyboard paired with a zoleo which if the person you are messaging with has the app too you can send 250 character messages; the unlimited plan is $50/mo and uses iridium satellites so you have true global coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    It may be worth seeing if you could use an ipad or phone with a bluetooth keyboard paired with a zoleo which if the person you are messaging with has the app too you can send 250 character messages; the unlimited plan is $50/mo and uses iridium satellites so you have true global coverage.
    you lost me at Ipad.
    How do you text with the Garmin ? the Arrow keys ? Seems like it would be a real PIA.

you lost me at Ipad.
    How do you text with the Garmin ? the Arrow keys ? Seems like it would be a real PIA.
    I had an inreach explorer+, without a phone, PIA is a kind way to put it. You move cursor with the arrows then select letter, ...

you lost me at Ipad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    I had an inreach explorer+, without a phone, PIA is a kind way to put it. You move cursor with the arrows then select letter, ...
    If you just want to tell someone you are OK, you can send preset messages.

++ New Posts ++