WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hang tag 2021

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    This really deserved its own thread ...

I want one that references my erstwhile southbound status — but I am not brave enough to mention the one thought that came to mind.
    Me neither but we think alike lol .

Is it raining yet?
    Images

I would buy an anti-hang tag hang tag if someone would design it.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I would buy an anti-hang tag hang tag if someone would design it.
    I had a roommate in college that made a bumper sticker (this was the 80's) that read "Nuke the unborn gay whales for Christ".

Is an anti-hang-tag tag something along the lines of a notice on noticing notices?

My wife's church in Vancouver BC, some years ago, had an Oversight Committee that was responsible for overseeing the church committees in general, which of course, I referred to as the committee committee. I'll never forget walking into church one day and seeing posted on the notice board, a notice about noticing notices posted by the committee committee. It's been 30 years and I'm still laughing about it.

So, what would an anti-tag tag look like or say? Would it just be a tag that said "No more tags".
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Ah, yes...the department of redundancy department.

Very funny, nsherry. I read it twice then had to have my ol lady check for funny.

I'm sure 10K has plenty of stories.

FWIW, I was very excited to receive my tag at approach trail with start # written in sharpie. Still cherish that little piece of plastic.

I'm sure I could find it in the bottom of my keepsake box in my hiking closet along with a ton of other mementos. Might stir something in a few years (or not at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Durwood View Post
    . . . Still cherish that little piece of plastic. . . Might stir something in a few years (or not at all).
    I hope so. You deserve it.

I think each of us define ourselves within the context of our memories. It's a pretty vital part of who we are.

Some people do best with their memories out on display to share with others. Others of us are more comfortable keeping more of our memories to ourselves.

Personally, I'm thrilled when someone puts their achievements out on display to share with others. It makes for an easy starting point for conversation.

Thanks.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

An anti-hang tag hang tag would look just like the real hang tag but on it would say how stupid hang tags are.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    An anti-hang tag hang tag would look just like the real hang tag but on it would say how stupid hang tags are.
    Or how stupid the anti hang tag tag hanger is.

"What are you lookin' at" might be the appropriate message?

I sectioned hike and finished last year. Before the pandemic started the ATC sent me a 2020 hang tag because I planned to complete the AT in September, 2020. Even though the ATC can go ****** itself, I do cherish the memories of all my hikes, but particularly the last one to Katahdin.

At the end of the game, the pawn and the king go back in the same box.

I inquired to ATC. Told they aren't going to recognize thru hikes because even with a vaccine, a vaccinated person can still transmit COVID-19.

Wow.

Not only are they out of touch with their "customers", they are out of line with the science. I had specifically provided information in advance refuting that old saw. Pfizer and Moderna provide a very high level of effectiveness against acquisition and transmission. Nothing is 100%. PFE has confirmed and they have conducted additional studies that confirm third party studies. Of course, a flu shot wouldn't help you for when the Spanish Flu returns nor will the existing covid19 vaccines necessarily protect against a possible new variant that might pop up.

For instance, in Moderna's filing to FDA, only 14 of the 14,000 vaccinated had an asymptomatic case of Covid-19. 0.1%. Now, if these 14,000 came into contact with another vaccinated persons (non infected), the probability of acquisition is remarkable low....1 out of 100,000?

Life can never 100% free from risk.

I guess if I were to donate, it would best go to very local but for sure, I would never give a penny to ATC down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    I inquired to ATC. Told they aren't going to recognize thru hikes because even with a vaccine, a vaccinated person can still transmit COVID-19.
    Wow.
    Not only are they out of touch with their "customers", they are out of line with the science.
    I guess if I were to donate, it would best go to very local but for sure, I would never give a penny to ATC down there.
    You very recently asked them about this and they said that they would not recognize any thru hikes in 2021?

At current vaccination rates (3.04M doses per day), 70% of the US population will have been fully vaccinated by my July 20th start date, and that's assuming two shots per person, not a single shot vaccine like J & J. That's probably around the upper limit of how many US citizens will choose to be vaccinated in 2021. That's not good enough for the ATC?

I can understand them not wanting to place an order for hang tags. I'm one of the people who could give a rats ass about the hang tag. I get that whatever date they set to start recognizing thru hikes is somewhat arbitrary. Is it fair to say that the person who started their hike on July 1st was okay, but someone who started June 30th is not? Maybe they're looking at as there are so few people who will be starting their thru hike as late as I plan on it, that it's not worth them choosing a date in 2021.

After doing pretty much all I can to prevent getting and spreading COVID over the past 13 months, getting my second Pfizer shot next Friday, and waiting more than three months after that to start my thru hike, so everyone else has access to getting vaccinated, I don't appreciate still being lumped together with everyone who didn't take those precautions to prevent the spread of COVID. If that's the case, I won't be supporting the ATC, ever.

I inquired to ATC. Told they aren't going to recognize thru hikes because even with a vaccine...
    Another thing to point out, the ATC has the following on their Events page:

The New York-New Jersey Trail Conference hosts the first-ever A.T. Vista at SUNY- New Paltz August 6-9, 2021. This 4-day weekend event celebrates the 100th anniversary of Benton MacKaye’s 1921 article, “An Appalachian Trail: A Project in Regional Planning”and the host’s centennial.

So, it's okay for them to have a four day in-person event that they are promoting, but it's not okay to thru hike the AT this summer/fall?

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow.

Not only are they out of touch with their "customers", they are out of line with the science. I had specifically provided information in advance refuting that old saw. Pfizer and Moderna provide a very high level of effectiveness against acquisition and transmission. Nothing is 100%. PFE has confirmed and they have conducted additional studies that confirm third party studies. Of course, a flu shot wouldn't help you for when the Spanish Flu returns nor will the existing covid19 vaccines necessarily protect against a possible new variant that might pop up.

For instance, in Moderna's filing to FDA, only 14 of the 14,000 vaccinated had an asymptomatic case of Covid-19. 0.1%. Now, if these 14,000 came into contact with another vaccinated persons (non infected), the probability of acquisition is remarkable low....1 out of 100,000?

Life can never 100% free from risk.

thank you thats the best detail I have gotten on an explanation on the vaccines..I give me faith in it now..AS for the ATC i have given in the past and they justmailed me a member donation thing. I havent renewed that in 3 years...I am ok with them saying dont use the shelters to not spread covid. BUT not recoginize thru hikers or hikers is a no go....
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    BUT not recoginize thru hikers or hikers is a no go....
    One good thing that could come out of this would be if the ATC stopped recognizing any individual hikers for good.

They could sell certificates “suitable for framing”, of course.

My suggestion on that would be for them to include a couple in the certificate package to help the buyer out if he messes up the alignment printing his name. Added benefit: one for home and one for office if all goes well on the first pass.

Emerging COVID19 variants that have recently appeared and are spreading is of growing concern to science, never mind the stated goal of 70% of the population vaccinated for 'herd immunity' will be difficult to reach given slow delivery of vaccines to various populations in the US coupled with anti-vaxxers. That said, I think the language used in a statement by the ATC is telling: "Although we don't know when the pandemic will be declared 'under control' and we can resume distribution of A.T. Hangtags and 2,000 Miler recognition, we hope for all concerned it will be soon".

The term 'pandemic' may be in the way of doing many things. I suspect once the CDC declares the pandemic to be under control and/or over and rescinds the condition several things will change nationally, including ATC recognition programs.

Wow. Wow.

Wow #1: You guys really care so much about being "recognized" by the ATC for hiking the AT?
    Wow #2: You guys are so petty as to suggest you will stop your support of the ATC for their judgment call on social responsibility regarding COVID when they do so very much more for the AT, and recognition is such a completely insignificant part of their efforts!

Geez. Grow up.

AND, go outside and hike. It's beautiful outside. . . and 0 degrees F in Anchorage AK this lovely spring morning. :P
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Wow. Wow.

Wow #1: You guys really care so much about being "recognized" by the ATC for hiking the AT?
    Wow #2: You guys are so petty as to suggest you will stop your support of the ATC for their judgment call on social responsibility regarding COVID when they do so very much more for the AT, and recognition is such a completely insignificant part of their efforts!

Geez. Grow up.

AND, go outside and hike. It's beautiful outside. . . and 0 degrees F in Anchorage AK this lovely spring morning. :P
    Point 1. People are social animals

Point 2. Agree completely. I like most of what they do, if I don’t like a little bit so what? If you need complete agreement to support an organization or be a friend, life is going to get pretty lonely. Then see point 1.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++