WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hike A.T. MASS Mid-July 2021?

Section Hike A.T. MASS Mid-July 2021?

Greetings A.T. Trail Friends,

I am an A.T. Section Hiker seeking a hiking buddy to hike the A.T. in MASS starting in mid-July. I am continuous on the A.T. from Springer Mountain, GA through to Salisbury, CT. I have also completed 30 miles in NH, and about 90 miles in ME.

I would like to hike MASS about July 15 - July 25, 2021. I prefer hostels, b&bs, camping in state parks (or similar, esp. car camping). I can usually hike 12-15 fairly easily on the Trail. I mostly prefer day hikes, but short backpacks are okay. Lord knows I have all the gear!

Minimally, this July I would like to hike from Salisbury, CT to North Adams, MA, and then take a few days off. I may hike a few more days in VT.

If interested in the MASS trek, please let me know. I am retired male, very married. My wife supports my Trail adventures by letting me go.

Sincerely, SundanceCO7

"Very Married" LOL

A note about Salisbury North, those first 10-15 miles out of Salisbury are a rude awakening compared to the previous several hundred miles of trail south of there. 3 climbs as I recall, Lionhead, MT Race & MT Everett. Anyways, take your time through there and you'll set yourself up for a very enjoyable state.

I loved Mass and will hike it many more times in my life
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Enjoy your hiking adventures! - SundanceCO7

Journal Entries
    Images

Default AT section hiker

[QUOTE=SundanceCO7;2283559]Section Hike A.T. MASS Mid-July 2021?
    Greetings A.T. Trail Friends,

I am an A.T. Section Hiker seeking a hiking buddy to hike the A.T. in MASS starting in mid-July. I am continuous on the A.T. from Springer Mountain, GA through to Salisbury, CT. I have also completed 30 miles in NH, and about 90 miles in ME.

I would like to hike MASS about July 15 - July 25, 2021. I prefer hostels, b&bs, camping in state parks (or similar, esp. car camping). I can usually hike 12-15 fairly easily on the Trail. I mostly prefer day hikes, but short backpacks are okay. Lord knows I have all the gear!

Minimally, this July I would like to hike from Salisbury, CT to North Adams, MA, and then take a few days off. I may hike a few more days in VT.

If interested in the MASS trek, please let me know. I am retired male, very married. My wife supports my Trail adventures by letting me go.

Sincerely, SundanceCO7[/QUOT
    Sundance, if you put a section hike together going north from Conn. into Mass., try to fit in a stop at Upper Goose Pond cabin. The cabin is not only for thru-hikers and section hikers, like you, are always welcome. The cabin opening is still in question, this season, but you can use the area, including the pond to swim and pitch a tent to camp. If it does open and is staffed by a caretaker you can enjoy a pancake breakfast.
    Grampie-N->2001

Also keep in mind MA is a designated camping only section. You can tent at all the shelter locations, but tent site selection can be limited at some spots.

For non-camping accommodations, "The Shamrock" in Dalton is convenient. Just don't show up on a weekend. Bascom Lodge at the top of Graylock is worth the expense. They charge a fortune for dinner though.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thank you. Final decision on travelling to the A.T. and hiking will come around Father's Day. Happy Trails. -S

Yes, I completed MASS plus 2/3 of VT. I hiked solo, day hiking only. My friend was delayed in arriving, so he joined me in VT.

I spent a week in MASS starting August 2nd. MASS was a little harder than I expected. I would say that even the middle section of MASS was "deceptively rough," not really what I expected per the profiles. But it was all do-able. I hiked between 12-15 miles per day.

I started in the middle and hiked SB. I had to connect to Salisbury, CT. Then I went back and hiked NB to VT 9 in VT. I had one shuttle driver for the north half, then a different shuttle driver for the southern half, approximately.

I mostly stayed in State Park Campgrounds, with one modest hotel on my off day in North Adams.

Rains previous to my arrival created a lot of mud, a lot of mud, especially the first few days. There had been a (flooding-caused) detour posted online near Tyringham, but the A.T. was open when I hiked that location. The Trail eventually dried out a week or so into August.

I saw a lot of northbounders in MASS in early August, which I guess is just about right.

I can send you more information if you like, if you have specific questions.

I will go back next August, I think, to finish VT and to pursue NH and possibly some miles in ME ... to make ever more progress. I am 83% complete.

Let me know if you have any questions, and even if you get this message.

A.T. Hiker Hugh (SundanceCO7)

Images

That’s a decent hike. I haven’t hiked much in that area except VT and North. Sounds like you had a good time!

Images

I hiked the southern half of MA on the last few days of a NOBO section hike starting in southern NY in early Oct. It was still very wet up there then. Some of the stream crossings that were probably normally easy rock hops were ankle deep fords. I would not want to do this section in the summer - I heard from several SOBOs that the bugs are awful.

The first 16-ish miles north of Salisbury were the toughest. The climbs weren't so bad as the steep descents down wet rock slabs on Bear Mtn, Mt Race, and Jug End (NOBO descent of Mt Everett was easy). Sage's Ravine was spectacular.

After a motel stay in Great Barrington to dry out my gear, the next 30 miles north to US 20/Lee were easier and pretty uneventful. There was a lot of muddy trail but nothing terribly difficult. I spent the last night in a shelter with a SOBO who had over 2/3 of a triple crown complete. Very cool to listen to her stories.
    It's all good in the woods.

Massachusetts in July, ah, the memories. It was my first section hike, the first act of my intention to hike the entire trail (completed some 15 years later). I was pretty clueless, but I had fun and learned a lot. There were many 90-degree days. BUG REPELLENT IS ESSENTIAL, especially for the section from the Connecticut border to Great Barrington but also beyond.

++ New Posts ++