WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Port Clinton to South Mountain, PA

Doing this stretch in a week.

Water situation?

Any closures or re-routes? I see on Guthook about one at Raush Creek/Stony Creek. Which route should I take?

Other advice/guidance?

Thanks in advance.

Did it the other direction summer ‘19. Know you are looking for more up to date info, but the water at Rausch Gap right in front of the shelter in a stainless steel trough was a thing of beauty and flowing strong even in a dry July. Fine place to end up with empty water bottles.

I went through there about this time last year. I'm pretty sure that's the area where the beavers flooded the trail. I opted to take the detour around it, had to back track to do so. Others I talked to who plowed through it said the water was only 2 feet deep for 100 yards or so, but it was also a muddy mess. Guess how bad it is depends on how much rain there's been down there lately.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I suggest taking the detour at Rausch Gap, assuming it's still in place. Going SOBO, turn right and follow an old dirt road for 1/2 mile, then left on an old railroad grade for about a mile. Marked only at the ends and the turn in the middle. ​It's about 1/2 mile longer than the trail but it's really smooth sailing and you will stay dry.

The first 1/2 mile climb SOBO out of Port Clinton is STEEP. Once you get to the top, you'll be walking on pointy rocks all the way to Swatara.
    It's all good in the woods.

Thanks, friends! Much appreciated.

Anyone else, chime in as you think helpful.

501 Shelter - I'm seeing reports that it is closed - what's the story on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Bryon View Post
    501 Shelter - I'm seeing reports that it is closed - what's the story on this?
    501 and Eckville are closed for the duration of COVID. Tenting available 0.6 miles north of 501 and at Eckville shelter. Apparently the caretaker at 501 isn't very friendly or helpful. I some how avoided stay at either one last year at this time. Last year? No, the year before. Seems like last year
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 04-21-2021 at 23:40.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

There is also reliable water and tenting 0.5 mile north of Eckville shelter.
    It's all good in the woods.

++ New Posts ++